Blue Devils in brackish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jonathan E Gray

Reaction score
Has anyone else acclimated blue devils (Chrysiptera cyanea ), to their brackish aquariums? I had put some feeder guppies in with my green spotted puffers and some survived to breed...like guppies! Fry everywhere. So I bought a blue devil, slowly acclimated it from 1.020 to 1.005 and it's doing great, plus it cleared out all the guppy fry. It leaves the puffers alone and they ignore it. It for a nice splash of color in that tank.

True marine fish (not brackish species) that occur in and around coral reefs should not be kept in brackish water. They evolved to live in sea water with a particular salinity and keeping them in water without enough salt can harm them in the long term.

Blue damsels are a coral reef fish that does not belong in a brackish water tank.

True marine fish (not brackish species) that occur in and around coral reefs should not be kept in brackish water. They evolved to live in sea water with a particular salinity and keeping them in water without enough salt can harm them in the long term.

Blue damsels are a coral reef fish that does not belong in a brackish water tank.
Tell my blue devil that! It's been in the brackish tank for five months and is doing great: lively, feeding well, beautiful coloration...

Attachments

• !!001.jpg
    !!001.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 175
It's a long term thing really my gsp were stunted from being in fresh water for 2 years before I got them and their life unfortunately will br shortened because of it but that's just the effect of improper keeping. Though gsp should go full salt to around .022 when they're large but keeping changing it a little to excercises their organs

Last edited:
It does look fine. Time will tell . So many blue devils don't even live 5 months in a reef tank.
Maybe their habitat includes very shallow reef lagoons that must see salinity drops in heavy rains or seasons.
I remember in the 70's somebody sold some chemical to add to your freshwater tank (not salt!)..that came in a jar. Sure enough the LFS tried it and I saw marine fish with freshwater fish. Alive.
Since I never followed up on what happened,I guess it didn't last very long as I don't recall seeing it the next time I dropped in.

It is a very nice looking fish, I hope it works out for you but I fear for the health of your fish. Do you also keep turtles?

So far, so good with the blue devil. He's acting great, eating well, enjoying his snack of baby guppies and generally making the tank that much more interesting.
And yes, I keep turtles: Jagged-shell box turtles from Viet Nam (Cuora (Pyxidea) mouhotii obsti). Wonderful little turtles!

So far, so good with the blue devil. He's acting great, eating well, enjoying his snack of baby guppies and generally making the tank that much more interesting.
And yes, I keep turtles: Jagged-shell box turtles from Viet Nam (Cuora (Pyxidea) mouhotii obsti). Wonderful little turtles!
I have red ear sliders I raised from little babies (25 years old) I also had local yellow sliders that I raised until they were old enough to set free. I would be interested in seeing a picture of your turtles.

I posted this about the blue devil in my brackish tank in January. It's July 31st and he's still doing great: vibrant colors, very active, a wonderful addition to the aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back