Blue Acarra Tissue

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Randy Tarner

Reaction score
Hi fish enthusiasts. I just joined the forum in search of a solution for my Blue Acarra. I've searched for the answer but I'm still unsure of what it might be. This blue Acarra has a fleshy blob coming from his anus. He has had this for several months, he is a very good eater and is active in the tank although he spends more time at the top of the tank then the other 4 in the tank. He also swims in a heads down position unlike the others that are horizontal. I know the questions about water quality will follow so this is an established tank for over a year with other Acarras and other species doing very well with no symptoms from the other fish. it is a 150 gallon tank and gets 2, 50 gallon water changes per week.
Blue Acarra.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It looks like the fish has pushed part of its intestine out of its butt. This sometimes happens, especially with fish that are inbred to get certain traits. Dry food can encourage it too. Feeding a varied diet with fresh, frozen and live foods help to prevent it but not always.

The problem usually fixes itself after a few hours or a day but if it hasn't fixed itself after a month it probably won't.

The unusual swimming position is possibly from the discomfort of having part of its gut hanging out its butt. It could also have an internal issue that is forcing the intestine out and may be interfering with the swim bladder.

If you want to risk it, you can carefully catch the fish in a net but do not lift it out of the water. Then very gently rub a wet finger over the belly and growth. Do this a few times and sometimes it can help get the intestine back inside the fish. But it might not either so the choice is yours. If you do try, be very gently.

Thank you very much for this. I do not feed live food but otherwise if they make it these fish eat it. All varieties of frozen food are given as well as different forms of pellet foods that are softened prior to feeding as i've read this when researching. I've also heard about pushing it back into the fish but have been to timid to try that. The wife says it time to help him if possible so maybe i need to get some courage and give it a try.

Yeah Colin is right thats rectal prolapse. Sometimes you can push it back in but it will be a trauma. It can work but be prepared for it to not work and you could lose him. Sidenote you could lose him anyway swimming around with a blown out oring

If i push it back in, won't it just pop out again? I think he's had this condition since i got him. At first i thought it was poop, then the day came i said what the heck is that. Thanks for the replies. I think at least he's had a better/longer life then living at the LFS.

If I push it back in, won't it just pop out again?
Not always. Normally once it is back in it stays in. But it can pop out again later. If you minimise dry foods there will be less chance of it popping out again.

Most reactions

Back