Blue Acaras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fantazia

Reaction score
Hi
I went to my lfs yesterday, with my friend she has a lovely 60 gallon community tank, with Angels, Rams, Swordtails, rainbowfish, harlequins, a platy, and a guppy, we went there because she wanted something a bit different for her tank.
We saw some beautiful blue acaras, i know there cichlids, we went and asked one of the staff all about them, he said they where peaceful fish, very hardy, and they get along okay in a community tank aslong as you dont have small fish like Neons, which my friend hasent got, as we where talking about them 2 other people brought 2 and they have a community tank, aswell so we thought we would buy 2 small ones aswell.
We got them home got them aclimatised with the water, and temperature for 45 minutes, put them in and they settled in really well. you would think they had been in the tank for months, they wernt bothering the other fish either.
Are these fish good community fish, are they peaceful, will they get aggressive when there bigger.
What kind of ph do they like? pleas let me know.

hiya! blue acara, very easy to keep and breed, i breed them for 5 years.... it was the easiest fish i have tried to breed . the first time was by accident ...great fish to keep

blue acars are definately not that kind of community fish,they are closely related to the green terror(aequidens rivulatus).you really should do your own research before buying any fish coz most lfs only want the $$$.ime the angels and the rams will be terrorized(to death)then the rasboras and guppy will be lunch imo the only ones fit to live w/the acaras are the rainbows(and that depends on the species).

Well done Most,

I am in complete agreement!!!!!

Not a good tropical community tank fish at all.

"Well done Most" :blush:
*bowing down*all praise the mighty cichlidmaster ;)

i still can't believe these lfs ppl :angry:

Totally in agreement - great fish but will kill when older. There are true Blue Acaras and also Blue Acara/Green Terror hybrids out there. If it was a huge tank, and I mean HUGE then you may get away with it due to space, but they will cause havoc, even in a 60 gallon, eventually. They mix well with equally sized central and s.american cichlids, but only the types that can give back what they recieve. Angels aren't in that category. I had a breeding pair that killed half a dozen fish overnight, so beware! I still have the female, she is in a tank with a Severum, Threadfin Acara and a Nicaraguense and she knows her place. If anything it has calmed her down. :devil:

I have a spair 25/30 gallon tank spair, would the Acaras, be okay to put in there or is it to small, or it would be best if we moved all the other fish out of the 60 gallon and put them in the 25/30 gallon tank wouldnt it. We dont have many left now
What other fish could you put with Blue Acaras, that would be compatible and get on well together.
My Acaras, are a browny grey colour, with blue round there gills and yellow lines going down either side of there body, and they have black spots either side aswell, are they blue acaras?? one is nicer looking than the other, one is smaller than the other, the smaller one isnt as nice looking as the bigger one could she be a female, everytime the smaller one goes near the bigger one, the bigger one shakes and does a flirting dance as we call it. they fight with one another not badly but we will definatley do something to solve the problem, there beautiful fish we dont want to take them back to the shop really, would firemouth cichlids go okay or are they not compatible.

does the biggerof the 2 puff out his face shake his head from left to right and nugde the back of the female! from what i see the bigger of the 2 is the male, sure the resident expert will confirm or deny. the dosal fin on the male was very long onmine

Yes he does all that, he dosent nudge the back though not that ive noticed, he has a long dorsal fin aswell, he is more colourful than the other one.
I have been looking around on the internet, and they look identical to the Green Terror, apparently you cant tell the difference when there young they both look the same, can anyone tell me the difference between a green terror and a blue acara.
They seem really peaceful at the moment there not bothering or harming the other fish at all, they just go there own seperate ways and do hastle anyone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back