BloodWorms

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Le Fishê

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello there, I feed my Dojo Loaches and Plecos bloodworms every 2 days but all the other fish always steals some of them. Is it bad for tropical fish to eat bloodworms? If yes, what should I do cause I gotta feed them with bloodworms because my other fish always eat every single fish flake before it reaches the ground, and if it does they go look for it, so my bottom dwellers really don't have anything to eat but bloodworms.

no they like to eat them because the pet store feeds them that. use a turkey baster or long syringe or whatever to jet it into the ground

no they like to eat them because the pet store feeds them that. use a turkey baster or long syringe or whatever to jet it into the ground
Hnm...without the other fish seeing i suppose? Ok, thanks

Happy day...my bottom dwellers love cucumber and Plecocaine, although I am not sure if it is available in the UK.

Bottom feeders will be ok with the missed bloodworms on the floor of the tank. The fish shouldn't get them all, and if they do, try thawing them in a cup of tank water first, then pour some on one end of the tank, when the fish go crazy over there, pour the rest on the other end of the tank.

As for feeding them every 2 days, I would cut this back to once a week at most. Freeze dried and frozen bloodworms can cause digestive blockages in a lot of different fish, which has a real potential to cause them to die. They swell up similar to dropsy and die. Bloodworms should be used as a treat, not a staple. Not to mention that sometimes parasites can be passed from frozen. There are some better brands out there that people have had good luck with, but, limiting these to a treat is best.

For feeding protein to bottom feeders, like stated use a sinking shrimp pellet. Some fish will scavenge the bottom for them, but any pleco worth its weight will run them off if it is hungry enough. Use pleco wafers too. More than just plecos eat and benefit from these.

Bottom feeders will be ok with the missed bloodworms on the floor of the tank. The fish shouldn't get them all, and if they do, try thawing them in a cup of tank water first, then pour some on one end of the tank, when the fish go crazy over there, pour the rest on the other end of the tank.

As for feeding them every 2 days, I would cut this back to once a week at most. Freeze dried and frozen bloodworms can cause digestive blockages in a lot of different fish, which has a real potential to cause them to die. They swell up similar to dropsy and die. Bloodworms should be used as a treat, not a staple. Not to mention that sometimes parasites can be passed from frozen. There are some better brands out there that people have had good luck with, but, limiting these to a treat is best.

For feeding protein to bottom feeders, like stated use a sinking shrimp pellet. Some fish will scavenge the bottom for them, but any pleco worth its weight will run them off if it is hungry enough. Use pleco wafers too. More than just plecos eat and benefit from these.
Hnm...how often do I feed my bottom dwellers wafers and sinking shrimp pellets? Everyday?

Depending on how your feed, I usually use wafers once a week. I rarely use blooworms, cept for my pea puffers other meat eaters. Even then, they get them once a week. Other tanks every so often. Just to add variety. Other sources of protein can be frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. As for shrimp pellets, these can be used every 3 days or so. With these you gotta remember that the fish will not get them all, and they will accumulate in the substrate depending on what your tank setup is, may cause issues if overused. They may cloud the tank as well and require more mechanical filtration cleaning.

One thing to keep in mind. The more you feed your plecos, the less they will clean your tank. They are scavengers by nature. If they don't need to work for food, then you tank may suffer for it.

Just to give an idea of how I do it (beware...controversial) is that I feed my tanks every 3-4 days. I use shrimp pellets and flake food for my 38 gallon. I feed my cichlids whenever they ask me for food. I use wafers no more than once a week. My pea puffer tank gets 1 bloodworm cube and 1 mysis shrimp cube once a week. Other wise flakes for the rest of the fish and a few shrimp pellets for the bottom guys.

?

Happy day, as well....bottom dwellers, indeed...strange as fiction?...for I hope this is, hahahaha....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back