April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chickennuggets123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
First time I saw the blood parrot, I fell in love
laugh.gif

Just wanted to know... are they are friendly species? (i dont exactly mean species- they're hybrids)
Would they get on with tank mates, such as common livebearers?

Not a lover of blood parrots, only true parrot cichlids, however i probally steer against it, i knew someone on here kept a oscar n parrot together, didnt end well fighting, they are cichlids, so maybe small fish will become dinner, also what size is your tank?

+1 to Nelly!

I always feel sorry for them when I see them. They just look sad to me. They have very small mouths which can make it difficult for them to eat and they also have bent spines. I have heard that they are very sociable though.

I agree these fish should not have been hybridized! I got one because i felt sorry for it although now realise by buying it i am only allowing more to be bred.
Overall my parrot fish was really shy for months, until i added a severum a month ago and he came out of his shell, use to chase her at first but have now made peace and get along great. It is said that parrot cichlids enjoys other parrots cichlids as company.

I agree these fish should not have been hybridized! I got one because i felt sorry for it although now realise by buying it i am only allowing more to be bred.
Overall my parrot fish was really shy for months, until i added a severum a month ago and he came out of his shell, use to chase her at first but have now made peace and get along great. It is said that parrot cichlids enjoys other parrots cichlids as company.

My parrot cichlid also lives with dwarf gouramis and black widow tetras so livebearers should be fine.

They are a peaceful hybrid in comparison to there ancestors the Midas and synspilum. Although most do not have the ability to close there mouth, they compensate with strong throat muscles. They show no signs of suffering. Shortbody fish are more likely to have swim bladder problems though. All 3 of my Short bodied fish, a SB texas and 2 BPs, died because of swim bladder problems. Because they are slow eaters other fish tend to eat all the food before they get a chance to eat much. King Kong parrots are much better IMO and a higher percentage of them have fully functioning mouths.

We have a parrot taht was baught in error (as a baby there was no pink I thaught it to be a regular parrot....) And we baught it a friend eventually. Our 2 stay side by side constantly. They share a tank with a jack dempsy 3 varied BN plecos and 2 Bichir They get along well with everyone except when they think they are breeding(beleive we have 2 females they try to lay eggs and nothing happens) then they guard thier little turf (try any way with thier small mouths the dempsy and bichirs could not care less.). They are very sociable otherwise. we have found that ours have trouble getting ahold of most foods but frozen bloodworms they tend to take in quickly and easily even against the dempsy.

I have a blood parrot living alongside gouramis, tetras, rainbowfish and plecos. he's a bit shy but otherwise does pretty well. i find careful timing when adding his food is required to stop the gourmis stealing it all! Its true that their small beaky mouths make feeding a bit of a mission

( i refer to my parot fish as he but i am unsure) i have an orange parrot fish. i bought him of a friend because he was getting attacked by oscars. i must say out of any fish i have ever seen this fish has the most personality out of them all! they are very friendly and enjoy the company of other fish. although i must say. so far he has ate 1 harlequin rasbora and 1 guppy. he was in my cousins tank before he was in mine and he didnt touch his guppys or his dwarf puffer fish. however i have done my research and he has been doing alot of digging in my tank. i have learnt that he is ready to breed. so maybe this is the reason for his appetite. i have never seen him attack a fish. not once. but seems as hes the only thing capable of eating the guppy and rasbora it was defo him! i dont care that they are hybirds. they exist and im doing my part by caring for him!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back