Blood Parrot Tank Size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I keep reading that parrots need to be kept in a tank size that is minimum 40 gallons...is that 40 gallons in UK gallons or US gallons? I have a 190 litre tank that I would like to keep young parrots in - this is 50 US gallons but only 42 UK gallons...would that be ok for them?

Also, has anyone ever kept parrots with chromides or kribs?

Thanks

That should be ok for one or 2 at a squeeze.I have kept parrots with kribs before with no problems but chromids being barckish might cause problems.

thanks folks,

I've kept chromides in my local tap water for about a year now - the ph is 7.6 going on 7.8. I don't add any salt at the mo' and they seem happy enough (they have bred a couple of times although the tankmates have eaten the eggs - I don't find chromides as good at protecting the nest as kribs). Anyway, we're halfway through having an extension built which will house a new tank when it's done so I plan to have a brackish tank with chromides, mollies and possibly kribs and then a parrot tank with a couple of bristlenoses and will think about dithers nearer the time.....seen two parrots that I want to get as they seem to have paired off so think I'll put them in with the chromides and watch closely. Should only be in there a couple of months and I have an old 2' tank that I could move the chromides to temporarily if things don't work.

Thanks for the replies

just in case anyone is interested....

....the chromide that have paired up did not get on too well with the introduction of the parrots - in fact I was worried about the parrots picking on the chromides I should have worried the other way round. The chromides would not let the parrots move from under the filter without full on assault. So I moved the chromides off into their own tank (and added some more salt to 'hopefully' bring them into breeding condition). So on that basis you'd assume that chromides and parrots don't mix.....well I had one other chromide - quite a young one who was left out by the other two (and often chased) well he thinks he's a young parrot and follows the two parrots round 24/7. This has reinforced something I've noticed before but never been 100% sure of - if you mix cichlids from a young age then they get on well (and even breed in community tanks with other cichlids present) but if you introduce a 'new' cichlid when they're older (and especially if they've paired off) then it gets messy.

just in case anyone is interested....

....the chromide that have paired up did not get on too well with the introduction of the parrots - in fact I was worried about the parrots picking on the chromides I should have worried the other way round. The chromides would not let the parrots move from under the filter without full on assault. So I moved the chromides off into their own tank (and added some more salt to 'hopefully' bring them into breeding condition). So on that basis you'd assume that chromides and parrots don't mix.....well I had one other chromide - quite a young one who was left out by the other two (and often chased) well he thinks he's a young parrot and follows the two parrots round 24/7. This has reinforced something I've noticed before but never been 100% sure of - if you mix cichlids from a young age then they get on well (and even breed in community tanks with other cichlids present) but if you introduce a 'new' cichlid when they're older (and especially if they've paired off) then it gets messy.

Yes I find that keeping them together from a young age helps.I have had adults added that do fine and others that get bullied from the very start though.

They get what, 6"? I'd say you could easily do a pair in a 20g.. However, I think 1 in a 10 is not going to be enough, just plain not enough room for swimming...

You couldn't fit them in a 20g lol :blink: No chance! Sorry, I'm laughing a tbit thinking of my two in a 20g, they'd be squashed up against the glass! No offense titan - but that's the second post I've seen you do lately with a very undersized tank recommendation (the other for the GTs) - have you actually seen/owned adult parrots?

55g min for a pair, but like T said - you might get away with it in a 40g depending on their sizes, but one would be better.

You couldn't fit them in a 20g lol :blink: No chance! Sorry, I'm laughing a tbit thinking of my two in a 20g, they'd be squashed up against the glass! No offense titan - but that's the second post I've seen you do lately with a very undersized tank recommendation (the other for the GTs) - have you actually seen/owned adult parrots?

55g min for a pair, but like T said - you might get away with it in a 40g depending on their sizes, but one would be better.
2 6" fish in a 20g tank I don't see the problem. I have a 20g right behind me. What exactly makes you think that they need such big tanks to do well?

I'm starting to wonder if you're for real titan. 20g isn't big enough for 2 convicts, how's it going to be big enough for 2 bloody big parrot fish?

Honestly, if you dont know something - just pass on it. If someone who owns parrot fish is saying they need a bigger tank than 20g, they probably know what they're talking about lol.

I'm starting to wonder if you're for real titan. 20g isn't big enough for 2 convicts, how's it going to be big enough for 2 bloody big parrot fish?

Honestly, if you dont know something - just pass on it. If someone who owns parrot fish is saying they need a bigger tank than 20g, they probably know what they're talking about lol.
Um... Yea, which is why 20g is one of the most commonly used sizes for a pair of cons. 29 is also common. I know a few people who have even kept breeding pairs SUCCESSFULLY in 10 gallon tanks (as I am now WITH NO problems). I may not keep these fish, I'm passing on knowledge I've learned. If you want to provide lavish conditions for your fish, go buy your big tank, because I most certainly don't care.

If you want to keep yours in cramped conditions, and have them live shorter lives, and not breed or be happy - then you keep them in a sodding goldfish bowl.

Cant wait for school hols to be over, bet you're looking forward to going back?

Incidentally, my parrots have bred twice in their first two weeks of being in my 180g tank. How many times have your parrots bred recently? Oh that's right....you dont have any....

Lavish is 180g. I know that's lavish, that's why I got it. There's a difference between what you're promoting, and what is actually necessary. I'm saying 55g is what you need for two parrots. Bare min. Need - as in adequate room. 20g isn't anywhere near that, and 55g is far from lavish. But it'd be ok.

20g is just obviously a number you pulled out of your head when you decided you were the world expert on parrot fish.

If you want to keep yours in cramped conditions, and have them live shorter lives, and not breed or be happy - then you keep them in a sodding goldfish bowl.

Cant wait for school hols to be over, bet you're looking forward to going back?

Incidentally, my parrots have bred twice in their first two weeks of being in my 180g tank. How many times have your parrots bred recently? Oh that's right....you dont have any....

Lavish is 180g. I know that's lavish, that's why I got it. There's a difference between what you're promoting, and what is actually necessary. I'm saying 55g is what you need for two parrots. Bare min. Need - as in adequate room. 20g isn't anywhere near that, and 55g is far from lavish. But it'd be ok.

20g is just obviously a number you pulled out of your head when you decided you were the world expert on parrot fish.
Its basic common sense. I look behind me at the 20g tank, and can see 2 6" fish living just fine in there. And since when won't they breed? That depends on the pair more than anything.. You say 55 is min, I say 20 is min. We have a differing opinion. Grow up your not always right, nor am I claiming that I am.

Let's see if some simple imagery works. Look at these two fish.

240107parrots1.jpg

That pic is in my 6ft tank. Which is 180g. And you say those two fish would fit, and be able to move around adequately, in a tank 8 times smaller than that?

Common sense? Cuckoo! Which part is incomprehensable? I have two parrot fish. I see them, feed them, watch them every day. I see how much they move, how much space they defend, how much space they need. And there is no way - NO WAY - they would fit in a 20g tank and be happy, and move about freely.

Done with this. Maybe for once someone else with a brain could step in and help me out here!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back