Blood Parrot Problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kiwi210

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my blood parrots has become very sick looking. He still dark in color because he is still juvenile but he has developed a large white spot near his caudal fin. His fins are torn but there are no evidence of bite marks. My blood parrots have recently spawned but were obviously unsuccessful and I'm pretty sure they ate they fry. My other parrot is calm whereas this guy is a little territorial. I will add another one in the future to have an odd number and drive the attention away from each other but for now, I would like this guy to get better. As of now, I have separated him from the other parrot. I will NOT put any chemicals in my water so please only natural advice.

If you're dead set against 'chemicals' (I can't understand why, when everything in the universe is made of chemicals, but there you are...) all you can do is keep the water clean and hope for the best.

fluttermoth said:
If you're dead set against 'chemicals' (I can't understand why, when everything in the universe is made of chemicals, but there you are...) all you can do is keep the water clean and hope for the best.
Sorry, I just don't like adding chemicals to the water. I might make an exception for some medication for my parrot but I will never add any type of water treatments. Chemicals that treat the water are good for the water but bad for the fish. From my experience, every time I add chemicals to the water whether it is to treat algae or something else, it made the problem go away but killed off every living thing in my tank. Since I stopped adding chemicals, I treat my water problems through water changes, light adjustments, and creating more circulation. I haven't had a fish die in over 2 years which is when I stopped adding chemicals. The only chemical I use is Prime conditioner for when I do water changes. 

Well adding chemicals may be your only option. I do find that algae killing chemicals are very hard on fish. I lost half my tank to them. But water changes and an air stone may help. Hope for the best, good luck

If necessary, you can always isolate the sick fish in a smaller aquarium, a hospital aquarium for treatment so that the entire tank is not treated, but just the fish... just a suggestion if you need to give treatment. This parrot fish is not in a salt water set up is it? like your profile picture? I hope not. If you do isolate him, I would try aquarium salt for treatment, more natural than chemicals I think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back