Blood parrot fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
There are some young sweetheart parrot cichlids at my LFS, and although I'm generally against buying fish that were bred to be deformed (in this case, to lack tails,) I've been thinking of getting one. I know for a fact that my LFS isn't going to reorder them for a number of reasons, so it's not as though I'll be encouraging them to stock more. They're absolutely adorable little things, tails or not, and I'd like to give one a nice home.
Now, my question is this... they don't look like any young parrot cichlids I've ever seen, and I'm wondering if they're going to grow up to look like normal parrot cichlids? Their faces are completely different from the pudgy little faces of the adult blood parrots in the same shop, and they can actually completely close their mouths. They look like they have a lot of red devil blood in them, and are much more elongate than other parrot cichlids I've seen.

Would you expect a parrot that's about 4" long to already have developed physical characteristic extremely similar to adults, or do they get that way as they grow? I don't really like the way blood parrots look, and am not sure I'll get one of these guys if they grow up to look like that. If anyone has any pics or anything, I'd be very grateful!!

Anyone have any guesses?.... anyone?

v-tail.jpg

heres a pic i found
MVC_006X.sized.jpg

MVC_007X.sized.jpg

hey i got my blood parrots when they were about 2" long they didn't have the bump red devils have then they have tails but they were much much skinnier in the face they have grown about half an inch and already the faces are puffier

mine used to be able to close there mouths but now they can't at all sadly :no:

have fun there gorgeous fish (so long as there not injected ones!!!!)

this is my king kongs. When small, they were able to close their mouth and as they get bigger, they could not close it.

the small king kong
updatedfishforsale003.jpg

a different fish but bigger and this is what the small ones will look like.

updatedfishforsale010.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back