Blood Parrot compatible with tiger barbs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My mom wanted a BP for her new 55 gallon tank which already has about 10 tiger barbs and 6 black skirt tetras. They are all adults and the biggest are about 2 inches max. I was wondering if a BP would be okay with these fish or would he attack them? :dunno:

Even if a BP did decide to be aggressive to the barbs and tetras, they would be able to handle it just fine. Tiger barbs are some of the nippiest fish out there :lol:

parker313 said:
Even if a BP did decide to be aggressive to the barbs and tetras, they would be able to handle it just fine. Tiger barbs are some of the nippiest fish out there :lol:
Well the thing is...they don't seem nippy at all. I am about 90% sure all of the females are pregnant and all they do is mate since I've raised the temperature and reduced the salt amount. My mom bought a 55 gallon tank with stand and all the accessories plus more for $50.00 and it came with 10 tiger barbs and 6 black skirt tetras along with 2 clown loaches and a few smaller tetras. But he kept the tank brackish he said. He added aquarium salt everyday and the gravel was filthy! He had a syphon and all that but he was an older guy and he said he lived at the back of the house since his wife is in a wheelchair now and they never usually come to the front of the house where the tank was so it was overgrown with algae and just bad. :no:

So I got it home and cleaned it up really well and majory reduced the salt amount and raised the temp a bit. Then acclimated the fish and they were EXTREMELY happy. They are REALLY not used to people and scatter as soon as they see you come to the tank. I hope they get used to us though. They are in the living room so they should get used to people rather quickly I think. A few hours later after putting them in a pair of the tiger barbs starting doing their little dance and rolling around each other all over the gravel and near a new live plant my mom put in. :thumbs:

There was one von rio tetra that was pretty chewed up when I got the tank and I pulled him out and stuck him in a hospital tank to treat him but he didn't make it. The water had an airstone so it has plenty of air and I acclimated him very slowly. Water was the same as what he was in before and the temp was the same as well. His tailfin was almost all gone though and he looked real thin. I'm sad because he didn't make it. :-(

I moved all of the smaller tetra into my 120 gallon and they seem to be doing wonderful! Oh yea he had some scissor tail rasbora that looked sort of pale in color and i moved them to my 120 gallon and they have brightened up a lot and seem really happy! :thumbs:

i dont think aggression is an issue, iv seen parrot fish before and i think size rules all here, a tetra or barb would make an easy meal in my opinion, they are pretty fast thogh, i guess we'l jus have to see ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back