FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goosegrl2019

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I'm angie, I'm new but have been reading threads & wondering if u can help me. My adopted 4 year old blood parrot is I'll. Shes been in a 37 gal w me for 3 months after being in 75 gal. I put her in 55 gal 4 days ago & added 2 gouramis that may have given her white fungus. The parrot has a white spot on nose today & I went to petsmart & got api fin & body cure & put in the amount for 55 gal. Does anyone know if this is from me changing tanks or adding fish?? The gouramis face looked strange when I brought it home. But I've never had one of those & didnt know. Btw it's more of a patch where her nostrils are, on her nose.

Please post a picture.

What are ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings?

Certainly all the moving around has at the very least stressed the fish out

There's a chance that the new fish have introduced a disease, but absolutely not the only possibility.

If it has spots, it may be ich.

Oh thanks for ur help!! So 2 days ago she was itching on rocks, & floating near the top. Antisocial which is totally off & not eating. Pets smart tested my water & said everything was in line but told me to swish the old filter in new tank for bacteria. Also to add an air stone on the left side of my 55 gal. I bought the topfin 55 gal setup. Then she started hanging out on the bottom. The next day I saw a strange white patch on face, I will post a pic, ran to petsmart & showed him the pic he said looked like fungus. I did the api med last night at 7pm. The white patch is goin away but shes hiding nonstop now.

I feel horrible about this. I added the new fish on mon.

You should put the old filter into the filter compartment of the new tank. You might also buy an api test kit to check ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates yourself.

It wont let me upload pic also, this is my first cichlid, & my first aquarium in 10 years. Everything was fine in the 37 gallon. No water issues or strange fish behavior. Just after I changed the tank & added the new gouramis. Petsmart said the had just been shipped in the night b4 so I had a bad feeling about this...

You should put the old filter into the filter compartment of the new tank. You might also buy an api test kit to check ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates yourself.
Old filter even w the medication in there??

Is there any way I can add a pic another way??

Please post a picture.

What are ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings?

Certainly all the moving around has at the very least stressed the fish out

There's a chance that the new fish have introduced a disease, but absolutely not the only possibility.

If it has spots, it may be ich.
I did the second dose of meds tonite. My question is why does it seem like the medicine is killing them all?? This seems horrible. The fish are all hiding & not swimming. Is this med bad for them??

just remove any carbon in your filter mediaq...carbon removes medication so you don't want that in your filter...if necessary you can put a slit in your filter media, and shake out any carbon

Google ich and see if that's what you have going on.

It seems like you definitely have lost your cycle and ammonia is building up. Disease is many times a result of poor water quality.

I know your having some trouble posting a picture, but it would help us greatly.

A liquid test kit is also very much needed. Those test sticks that they use at petsmart are absolutely useless and inaccurate.

Do a 75% water change immediately until we can figure out what's going on.

Medication can be rough on fish....but many times is needed to treat the disease. This is why it is extremely important to correctly medicate.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

just remove any carbon in your filter mediaq...carbon removes medication so you don't want that in your filter...if necessary you can put a slit in your filter media, and shake out any carbon
Ok so do this after I finish the cycle of medication tho right? The old filter is carbon & I did remove the filters in the new one when I started the meds. The back of the meds told me or I would have never known that. Tomorrow directions say to do 25% water change & dose it w meds again. The meds r making the white go away but the fish isnt moving from the bottom of the tank & hasnt eaten in 4 days. This fish loves to eat normally & is extremely happy, playful & social. Like a dog. Thanks for ur advice its sooo much appreciated. I'm actually goin to speak to a tropical fish store owner tomorrow because i feel like time is running out.

Google ich and see if that's what you have going on.

It seems like you definitely have lost your cycle and ammonia is building up. Disease is many times a result of poor water quality.

I know your having some trouble posting a picture, but it would help us greatly.

A liquid test kit is also very much needed. Those test sticks that they use at petsmart are absolutely useless and inaccurate.

Do a 75% water change immediately until we can figure out what's going on.

Medication can be rough on fish....but many times is needed to treat the disease. This is why it is extremely important to correctly medicate.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Ok, I'm doin water change now. Thank u, its cloudy & foamy w this medication

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back