Bloddfin tetras

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Some of my bloodfin tetras are losing color and they are in a school of 5 and they love to eat and schaol together and look happy. Anything i could di to get their red color to come back.
1580172945989119221834790082873.jpg

Some of my bloodfin tetras are losing color and they are in a school of 5 and they love to eat and schaol together and look happy. Anything i could di to get their red color to come back.View attachment 97019
Blood fins are super active fish and are shoaling fish and theyll lose their color when stressed. If your tank allows get more, they will feel more safe in larger groups. High nitrates can decrease fish color so check your water, a water change couldnt hurt. Tetras are also soft water fish so if your ph is too high and your gh too high that could stress them, lastly they need long tanks of atleast 2 feet to swim back and forth, the longer the better, oh and lastly temperature can effect color if too low, blood fins like most tetras like temps between 76-82. Those are just a few things.

I agree with @utahfish, also if you can add some live plants. I have a tetra tank (55 gallon) and tetras like places to hide and plenty of plants. They also like shade from floating plants. Most tetras come from jungle streams and rivers with plenty of overhead shade. :fish:

I have shade for them and temp is at 76 but my tank is a little overstocked right now but i am going to transfer some fish and add some more bloodfins which i hope will help. My ph is a little above 7 and i do water changes alot so water quality is not the problem. Also they are in a 30 gallon so they have plenty of space.
I will just try getting more. Thanks for the help.

6-8 is the usual quoted minimum number for tetras. I have 8 ember, 15 neon and 8 glowlight tetra in my 55 gallon tetra tank plus 17 red eye tetra I gave to my bother-in-law (they had babies) o_O . I plan to add more of each after my next big change in that tank. Your bloodfin tetras sound interesting, I may add them then too. :fish:

Last edited:
use a dark substrate.
have lots of floating plants.
make sure there is a dark picture on the back of the tank.
have at least 6 (preferably 10) of those fish.
reduce the lighting (but that will affect live plants).

Hope you get more because thats a nice size tank for just five. They could be just bored with each other.

Assuming all the tank and water numbers are good, the technical stuff....

After reading the other posts and pondering...random thoughts...

.....environment outside tank....
Any changes?
Suddenly you like Techno and they are used to Reggae?
Change from day to night shift?
New roomies?
Are YOU okay?

Inside tank....
Live plants live plants live plants
Just get floaters, cheap and they grow their own...selves...

Old pellets?
any food changes?
maybe change food brand?
mix it up?

(Just as an aside, I have a two-and-a-half-year-old betta who was slowing down, had seen better days, etc. I thought he may be going blind, he didn't seem to be able to see his food it was very very stressful over a few months as I dropped more and more food into the tank, I had a snail explosion and so on and on, anyway...I ended up getting two new fish that I didn't realize required bloodworms and such...
Guess what. Mr. Luna is a Monster. Bright blue again. Doing fancy moves chasing those worms).

That was quite an "aside," but as I was writing I thought more and more that maybe it would help. Frozen bloodworms*** are expensive and a pain in the you know what, but...any way, hey there's Mr. Luna over there, is he---no, yes he is...Mr. Luna, I told you to "stay off the hi dive."

Finally, unlike most of my exes, maybe your fish don't need any space! Mix it up, double the same species tetras and get a couple of Amano shrimp, maybe?

***PLEASE TAKE PRECAUTIONS WITH WORMS, LARVAE, ETC. IN NO WAY DID I COVER THE TOPIC, SPEND HALF AN HOUR RESEARCHING ON LINE OR WITH A FORUM MENTOR REGARDING ALL ASPECTS!!!

Can't wait to see your next pic.
~V

I have shade for them and temp is at 76 but my tank is a little overstocked right now but i am going to transfer some fish and add some more bloodfins which i hope will help. My ph is a little above 7 and i do water changes alot so water quality is not the problem. Also they are in a 30 gallon so they have plenty of space.
I will just try getting more. Thanks for the help.
Whoops!
Wait, are there 5 fish only in the 30g? Or is it overstocked? If overstocked disregard my other post as it will not make sense. Might make nonsense, which might be funny, though. Unlike an overstocked tank, but you already knew that...
~V

There are 3 corys catfish, 5 danios, 4 platys, bn pleco, 1 gourami. Idk is that overstocked?

6-8 is the usual quoted minimum number for tetras. I have 8 ember, 15 neon and 8 glowlight tetra in my 55 gallon tetra tank plus 17 red eye tetra I gave to my bother-in-law (they had babies) o_O . I plan to add more of each after my next big change in that tank. Your bloodfin tetras sound interesting, I may add them then too. :fish:
I wouldnt add them with neons and glo lights. Blood fins are really active and a little frentic and may stress your neons and glo lights out. Blood fins do better with larger tetras like serpae and skirts or similarly active tetras like blue tetras.

Bloodfins are notorious for fin nipping slower fish, and in small groups this is only made worse.

Whoops!
Wait, are there 5 fish only in the 30g? Or is it overstocked? If overstocked disregard my other post as it will not make sense. Might make nonsense, which might be funny, though. Unlike an overstocked tank, but you already knew that...
~V
Not sure, I'm new to the "hobby".
I rhink I was confused regarding your text.
Maybe ask a new question. Also, if you just added new fish maybe that stressed them?
I hope they colour back up.

I have no problems with fin nipping. 2 of them are always red but the others arent as red.

It could be stress from not great water parameters

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back