Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
we've just stocked our tank after a full fishless cycle, current stats;

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10ppm

tanks around 60 gals, filter providing 10 x tank turnover, moderately planted, current stocking;

15 x copper harlequin rasboras
15 x celebes rainbows
15 x sterbai corydoras
4 x angelfish

fish have been in since last thursday following a 4 week fishless cycle using ammonia and a few days qualifying the cycle. when we put the fish in one of the angels got a tiny bit of mouth rot so we started treating the tank with pimafix, this was all clear yesterday although we plan to carry on treatment for a couple of days just to be on the safe side.

just noticed today that one of the rasbora's looks a bit of a funny shape, it's like he's got a really full tummy, some signs his scales are sticking out which makes me think it might be dropsy but on such a small fish (they're juvi's and even at full size they won't be that big) it's a little hard to tell, also i guess the distortion of the body could be causing this. there is also a tiny red dot on the underside of his belly.

water quality is fine but as its a newly cycled tank I'm aware there could be other chemical changes going on outside of the basic parameters we test for.

i haven't a bacterial med in but i can get one tomorrow, also have a small tank I can isolate him too. so questions

1 - do you agree with the diagnosis of dropsy
2 - other than isolation, good water quality and a bacterial med is there anything i can do
3 - recommendations for a bacterial med
4 - is it contagious, no other fish are showing signs of illness - do i also need to treat the main tank if i isolate him

thanks

Maybe the rasbora is a 'she' and maybe 'she' is gravid (fishie pregnant)
But pics wouuld help

hmmmm hadn't considered that, although wouldn't be pregnant as they are egg layers, but could be distended with eggs.

i haven't a pic of ours however did a bit of googling to try and find a picture of a gravid rasbora to compare too - not much joy but did find this pic which doesn't say it's a gravid female, but the body shape resembles ours. although i think ours is a bit more pronounced.

013008_006.jpg

Decided it's definately poorly not gravid. Popped him into a hospital tank last night with some melafix as it's the closest thing to a bacterial med we had to hand in the evening. Got loss of colour and scales pineconing.

Off to the LFS in a few mins for a good bacterial med - recommendations anyone. Protozoin is springing to mind but it's a while since I've done this so I may just be getting confused.

No, not Protozin for dropsy - use Octozin. Depends how far gone the disease is as to how successful treatment will be. Pineconing is usually towards the later stage, unfortunately. Worth a try though.

Athena

yeah got to the LFS and realised it wasn't protozoin. got some myaxin which is for bacterial infections. i know dropsy's pretty hard to treat but it's worth giving it a go at least.

thankfully he doesn't seem to be too distressed so fingers crossed.

Ok, but I'm not sure Myxazin will cure it at this late stage. Octozin is the one specifically for early stages of dropsy (although dropsy is usually caused initially by a bacterial disease). Your nitrates are not high anyway, so that's one less worry (usually that is the trigger in dropsy).

Athena

he didn't make it through the night, sad but not entirely unexpected :rip:

Bless Him.
R.I.P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back