Bloated Platys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tanburh

Reaction score
I recently bought 3 platys from my local fish store and the two females look bloated. They were in a community tank and are about 1 inch long.

pictures?

are they still eating an pooping normally?
I have only had them for 1 day and only just fed them they seemed to be eating normally. I havent seen anything else abnormal. This is also my first time with platys and livebearers. I will try and get some pictures soon.

I have only had them for 1 day and only just fed them they seemed to be eating normally. I havent seen anything else abnormal. This is also my first time with platys and livebearers. I will try and get some pictures soon.
If they are females which have been in a tank with males they will be pregnant.

At the fish store they were in a tank with males and females
Then they will be pregnant. Platys can store the males sperm for months, and can use it to give birth to fry. Post some pictures of them so we can be certain. Do you have a tank available for fry? Or do you have space in your current tank?

Then they will be pregnant. Platys can store the males sperm for months, and can use it to give birth to fry. Post some pictures of them so we can be certain. Do you have a tank available for fry? Or do you have space in your current tank?
Thank you. I will try and get some pictures up soon. I have them in a ten gallon with a few other fish and dont have any other available tanks.

Thank you. I will try and get some pictures up soon. I have them in a ten gallon with a few other fish and dont have any other available tanks.
What other fish you have? Maybe your lfs could take in the fry or someone you know could have
a fish tank they could be placed in.

if they are eating well and doing normal poop then they are fine.

if they stop eating or do a stringy white poop, then it's a problem.

Most reactions

Back