bloated glofish! pregnant or swim bladder?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

problem?

• pregnant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • swim bladder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fish<3102

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping someone could help me.
my glofish got really bloated in a period of 3 days or two, attached are some pictures. I am not sure if it is a female full of eggs, or maybe just with swim bladder? I recently had a glofish die of dropsy, so i isolated this one and treated with kanaplex but is now pooping... but still bloated
let me know what you guys think?
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

I also thought i would say this glofish kept chasing the purple one... so i it because the purple one is female and with eggs ?

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    632.1 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    660.7 KB · Views: 536
if you can post a short 20second video of the fish chasing each other we might be able to say if they are breeding.

The males are smaller and slimmer than females so if the yellow one is small and slim then it could just be a male trying to breed with a female.

re: the glofish that died recently, what were the symptoms before it died?

this is the URLs:
, of some videos of the chasing... is not as bad anymore, the purple glofish tetra got less swollen overnight during isolation, but this morning i put him back in the tank to see how he does...however his abdomen is still squared shaped which is unusual for him, but he seems to be doing better

The fish in the video are not breeding. The yellow one is being a bully and picking on the purple one. Unfortunately they are schooling fish and need to be in groups of 10 or more. You have 2 and should really add a few more. The same with the tiger barbs. However, the tank is pretty small so you are probably better off getting a group of 6 or so tetras to increase their numbers and move the tiger barbs into another tank if that is possible.

The tetras are black widow tetras or black skirt tetras (same fish different name). Yours are the glowing form with the jellyfish dna but they should be fine with normal black widow tetras.

--------------------
If the fish has lost a bit of weight it might have just eaten a lot. Monitor them over the next week and see how they go :)

if you can post a short 20second video of the fish chasing each other we might be able to say if they are breeding.

The males are smaller and slimmer than females so if the yellow one is small and slim then it could just be a male trying to breed with a female.

re: the glofish that died recently, what were the symptoms before it died?

"the recent glofish tetra that died recently, I believe died of dropsy, his belly got swollen, and then he had some sort of ulcer in his ventral side, then he could not swim anymore and died, he was losing his scales around the site of the ulcer.

Ulcers are caused by bacterial infections. If the fish had an internal bacterial infection that could potentially spread to the outside of the body but it would depend on where it was initially.

Monitor the others and keep an eye out for red patches (these are generally bacterial infections). If any fish do develop red sore photograph them and post them on here.

Have you had any dwarf gouramis in the tank with them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back