Bloated Female Betta, constipated, egg bound, or dreaded dropsy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What's wrong with my betta>

• Dropsy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Egg Bound

• Constipated

• Total voters

sciencegal

Reaction score
Hello Tropical Fish Forums! I'm a long time reader, first time writer. Can you please help me figure out if my betta is egg bound, constipated, or has dropsy? Video for reference:

Symptoms: Swollen belly for about 2-3 weeks. I first noticed when I got my male betta. They were never housed together but he inherited in her old tank so she was in there when he was floating in his cup during the temperature acclimation. Her eyes look a little bulged to me. I'm not sure if this is the lighting. I switched from a fluorescent light to LED, and only then did I notice her eyes (upper portion looks white in video). Her coloring hasn't faded but the area around the swelling is lighter in color, golden to white at times. No pineconing, it kind of looks like it in the video near the end but in person her scales are smooth. They have black edges which make them look like they're are standing up on film.

Behavior: Eats like a pig. She's housed with rasboras so I try to feed only them, but she still manages to gobble up all the pellets they miss. Swims fine, likes to scavenge the bottom of the tank for food.

Attempted treatment: I thought she was egg bound so I floated her in a cup in my male betta tank for 1.5 days. I didn't see her drop any eggs, but she did poop. I fed her a blanched pea in hopes to make her poop more. She seemed to be a little slimmer so I put her back in her big tank a few days ago. Now she seems bigger than before.

Thanks for your help!

I don't think it's any of those.

I'm afraid it might be a tumour, in which case there won't be anything you can do, except euthanise the fish, if you think it's suffering.

However, it might possibly be some sort of bacterial problem (we can always hope!), so I think I'd suggest a course of an anti bacterial; not Melafix or Pimifix though, they're not strong enough.

If not melanin or prime fix I'm assuming not betta fix either? What anti bacterial would you reccomend? (I have snais in the tank)

I don't think it'Juns any of those.

I'm afraid it might be a tumour, in which case there won't be anything you can do, except euthanise the fish, if you think it's suffering.

However, it might possibly be some sort of bacterial problem (we can always hope!), so I think I'd suggest a course of an anti bacterial; not Melafix or Pimifix though, they're not strong enough.

I'd recommend Watelife's Myxazin, if you can get it, or esha 2000; Interpet do an Anti Internal Bacteria as well, but I don't know what you can get in the US, as I'm in the UK.

Have you tried fasting the fish for a few days?
Have you tried Epsom salt dip?

As Nick said. Try fasting her for a while.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Have you tried fasting the fish for a few days?
Have you tried Epsom salt dip?

I fasted her for ~2 days and she only seemed slightly slimmer, and since she was in a cup I could tell she was pooping regularly. I haven't tried a salt bath because I've read it can stress out the fish. If she continues to get worse I'll try a salt bath as a last resort.

Out of those I'd say she is more egg bound than anything else with perhaps a bit of over eating thrown in ;) she is beautiful by the way, very long fins for a female! and such a pretty colour. You could try floating her in the male tank again and see if she will release some eggs this time round.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back