Bloated Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bath Tussue

Reaction score
something is wrong with one of my gouramis
it looks about the same as the one in this post:
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1787822"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1787822[/URL]

it only started today.

water temp: around 26.5 C
PH: 6.6 (same as tap)
ammonia: about 0
NO2: about 0
NO3: between 0 and 10, depending on how long ago i changed water.
50% water change 2x per week
green-ish water

tank is currently overstocked. bigger tank coming soon.
20gal
10 swordtail (7 female, 3 male)
10 angle
2 platies (1 male, 1 female)
2 bala shark
2 dwarf gouramis (both male)

recent changes: new flake food that non of the angle and only some swordtails eat.
one of the female swordtail seem to have lost that black spot on its belly. (just given birth?)

feeding habit: flake food in the morning and early afternoon, frozen blood worn late evening.
introduced new flake food yesterday because the old can is almost finished. brand "Tetra"

observations:
of the two gouramis, the one currently being bloated is the one that's usually more lively.
the anus is red.
none of the fishes are interested in mashed up boiled peeled green pea. the peas just sink to the bottom of the tank.
the bloated gourami is breathing more heavily compared to the other gourami (the less active one)
there was an instance where the bloated gourami dashed around the tank for a few seconds.
it swims perfectly fine. not tipped over to one side or anything.

Hey
Firstly 50% changes 2x a week is way too much really. It should only need 20-30% once a week.
I dont rate flake food, I dont think its very good for the fish and doesnt seem to boost their colours etc. I would go for one of the tetra pro range (Red or Green top) as I find my fish are more active / colourful with that.
Also Dont feed live / Frozen food more than once a week to them, it can cause problems.
The bloatedness could be Internal parasites / TB . I suspect internal bacterial problems.
I would get a bacterial mediaction from your LFS and start treating with that - you in UK or US ?
You have too many fish though and this will cause you problems. I would give a freind some fish until your new tank comes.
Good luck.

bad habit from cycling with fish :( but that should be easy to change this habit

the new flake food is of Tetra brand.
the old one is of Sera brand.

i live in Canada, so the stuff i can get is the same as what i can get from the US

You want something to treat Internal bacteria.
Remove any carbon from your filter too.
Good luck.

so today i finally went to my friend's shop to get medication
he suggested i get "Maracyn-Two"

before adding the medication, i did a 25% water change so i don;t need to do any water change until the end of the suggested 5 day treatment
i added the recommended dose about 4 hours ago.
just now while checking out the fishes, i notice a 10" long transparant white stringy poo dangling out of the 1.5" long sick gourami.
seems like the medication is starting to have an effect

Well I'm not sure about the water changes not being needed for his particular situation. He probably needs that many changes to keep nitrates under control due to the INCREDIBLE overstocking. I know that ordinarily that seems excessive for water changes but given his stocking, it MAY be required.

my NO3 never go above 20, even if there's a week when i slacked off and didn't change any water
maybe the live plants were helping

the sick gourami is swimming around now instead of staying at one spot, but it is still bloated

problems!!!!!!!!!!!

yesterday's reading:
NH3 is 0.25
NO2 is 2
NO3 is 10

the only thing i did before adding the medication was remove the carbon media
i also have 2 spoonge media running since last week (1 original, 1 "aftermarket". the aftermarket one has lower density)
(i am using Aquaclear 30)
so i did a 50% change, and put in a ammonia removing filter pad on the top slot
today's reading:
NH3: 0
NO2: 0.5
NO3: 5

also, this morning, the water become really white.

i am still continuing the medication

i have decided to stop the medication.

the medication killed one of my fish, and almost kill another because it created a layer of film above the water, causing the water to not have enough O2.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back