Tank size: 270L
pH: 6.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 40
kH: unknown
gH: unknown
tank temp: 25C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

I have two SA bumblebee cats. They are at least 10 years old. Both have been fit as the proverbial fiddle until this weekend, when I noticed one of them seems to have blown up like a balloon. The bloating/swelling isnā€™t limited to the belly - the whole body is affected, including two matching lumps behind head by the dorsal fin. The cat was unusually easy to catch, though not entirely sluggish. Still booked it across the tank when the net came out! Swims OK, no sign of reduced mobility or loss of balance

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

monthly 20% + top-ups. This is the routine Iā€™ve been using with this tank for over a decade and has proven very stable.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

none, just sponges and ceramic beads in filters

Tank inhabitants:

2 x 6ā€ adult synos, 5 syno petricola (mix of adults and juv), 2 adult SA bumblebees, 8 congo tetra (mix of elderly adults and older juvs), nerite snails, live plants

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

nothing for 6 months +

Exposure to chemicals:

none

Digital photo (include if possible):

Attachments

• AE1EDE89-9BA5-47EC-BE0C-125BEAE17E1E.jpeg
    AE1EDE89-9BA5-47EC-BE0C-125BEAE17E1E.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 7DEE4A6F-6E0C-4DB1-A127-75749974AC6C.jpeg
    7DEE4A6F-6E0C-4DB1-A127-75749974AC6C.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 274E5F50-B3A9-4162-9B92-64B5EE4B1BA6.jpeg
    274E5F50-B3A9-4162-9B92-64B5EE4B1BA6.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
No idea why it has swollen up but its skin looks pink and that is a sign of bad water. You also have Synodontis petricola in acid water and that is really bad for them because they come from Lake Tanganyika, which has a GH of about 400ppm and a pH around 8.5.

A 20% water change each month is not the best for fish and can cause problems if there is always nitrates.

------------------
I would do a 50% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week. If you can't do it once a week, then try to do it once every 2 weeks, but make sure you do them regularly.

------------------
You need to check the general hardness (GH) and move the S. petricolas into a tank with water that is suited to them.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions re: environmental conditions and maintenance.

Fortunately, the catā€™s skin isnā€™t actually at all pink, thatā€™s just the lighting and camera.

Got the cat out for an inspection today (not something I undertake lightly) and it has several holes in itā€™s underside, one with something rather gel-like erupting from it. It doesnā€™t look like damage from an external source.

Most information I can find regarding this species suggests a life expectancy of 5ish years. Given this is a 10+ year old fish, Iā€™m ā€˜hopingā€™ this is just its system shutting down in old age. Do you have any more info regarding their life expectancy in aquaria?

Are there any treatments you might suggest? Iā€™m wondering if an epsom salt bath would be beneficial, but wary due to the open wounds.

Attachments

• A857D254-FF95-4DA1-8802-A7FC150602BD.jpeg
    A857D254-FF95-4DA1-8802-A7FC150602BD.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 015D811B-1FC4-4284-BC63-250A1B7BED57.jpeg
    015D811B-1FC4-4284-BC63-250A1B7BED57.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 86
The fish has a major infection and the stuff coming out is puss.

Anti-biotics might work but might not considering how advanced the problem is. However, they aren't readily available in the UK so it might be the end for the fish.

I would probably euthanise the fish.

I feared this would be the end. Still alive this morning. What antibiotics could be used (if I could obtain them legally) and what would the dose be? I may have access to baytril and amoxicillin. My vet is very understanding, but may need help with dosing suggestions.

Just a suggestion, but might it be a good idea to reach out to a foreign vet who is used to treating fish? not neccesarily to take your fish there, but to get some information on anti-biotics so your vet can know the right measurements and treatment?

Just a suggestion, I hope your bumblebee pulls through. fingers crossed for you.

I found some JBL Furanol 2 in the back of my fish cabinet (sssshhh, pretty sure Iā€™m not supposed to have it) so Iā€™m trying the cat in a bath of that. Please pull through, little friend.

Update!

bumblebee was put in isolation for 2 weeks and received an antibiotic treatment for the first 5 days. The swelling went down completely and the abdominal wounds are healing well. They were released back into the main tank today.

Attachments

• F75D84C0-329E-42A4-8EB7-F571D0BE51A1.jpeg
    F75D84C0-329E-42A4-8EB7-F571D0BE51A1.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 74
  • A8CE4AB4-2A1B-4C72-9F76-67817F2DEBC7.jpeg
    A8CE4AB4-2A1B-4C72-9F76-67817F2DEBC7.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 93
Update!

bumblebee was put in isolation for 2 weeks and received an antibiotic treatment for the first 5 days. The swelling went down completely and the abdominal wounds are healing well. They were released back into the main tank today.
That's wonderful! I was worried when I saw the photos of those wounds in his poor belly, combined with his age - that didn't look hopeful for a good prognosis. Lovely to see that he recovered so well! Happy that you did this update.

Update!

Wow! That is great news. When I saw the pictures, I thought it was a goner. But it looks much better now! Keep it up! :wub: :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back