🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

For a long time now (even before I started fishkeeping!) I’m interested in the
blind mexican tetra.

I want an information on how to keep them and need some idea on “cave style” set up.

I also don’t understand what the book said, how can I get the dripstone, I mean I can get it from caves but I don’t think that’s legal...

@Colin_T

Attachments

• 4D113BD5-1892-4FBC-BF84-B02E0A17DD94.jpeg
    4D113BD5-1892-4FBC-BF84-B02E0A17DD94.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 52
You can keep them like any normal fish and they don't need a special tank. We kept them in a planted tank and they were fine. They eat anything.

pH between 7.0 and 8.0.
GH around 200-300ppm

They are fin nippers so don't keep them with slow moving fish or long finned fish.

You can keep them like any normal fish and they don't need a special tank. We kept them in a planted tank and they were fine. They eat anything.
Yeah, but I think they look good in a cave set up filled with rocks and cave back ground.

How did they make this thing anyway?
177A97F8-70A4-452D-9FF1-0E6BBAD3C01D.jpeg

The back ground could be made from plastic, rubber or foam, they are usually plastic moulded. You might be able to buy them online or on Ebay.

Yeah, but I think they look good in a cave set up filled with rocks and cave back ground.

How did they make this thing anyway?

You can make one from foam but, you need to painting skill to make it realistic.

Can you get rocks from outside? I have a journal entry (Mbuna Condos) where I cover plain rocks (test prototype) with sand using Gorilla glue. You could build a frame using 1/2" PVC pipe&fittings, cover the frame with sand then add rocks to it.

They make PVC pipe cutters so you don't need power saws.

Mark

We have many of these fish and the tank is a pretty typical layout. We did give them a small cave like rock to go in but they rarely go in it. I have found with some experimenting they like some movement to the water.

The photo is of a new start tank so no fish in this picture but when its ready they will be added.

Attachments

• 20210819_213451.jpg
    20210819_213451.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 26

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back