Bladder Snails Out Of Control

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mayu

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, I have an explosion of what looks like little bladder snails in my molly tank. It started with a few and have turned into hundreds.

I've tried to pick them out by hand, got rid of like 100 only to have 100 more replace them... I've vaccumed them up and shook them off the decorations, I've tried using lettuce as bait to get them out, I've squashed the gooey "water drops" that I think are bladder snail eggs, at least the ones I could find...

what else can I do to get rid of them? There are just TOO MANY. they're over taking the tank!! Is there something I can put in the water they can't tollerate, like salt or something? I hate to do that, but there are HUNDREDS of them.

You only get a snail population explosion if you are overfeeding your fish! You need to cut down on your feeding, and one way to do it is to keep pulling them out - squish them ad drop them back in. Your fish will love the free source of protien and you wont be feeding the snails. If you do that every day you will soon get rid of them.

If your tank is big enough you could buy a fish to help eliminate the problem. I hear Clown Loaches are pretty good for this.

James

I'm not over feeding them. I'm very careful about the amount of food I give. I only feed what they can eat in a few seconds. Feeding is something I'm very careful about because of algae and such. Also, I was also suppose to be out of town for only 3 days (but due to an emergency with my puppy I was out for 2 extra days) I didn't add the weekend feeder on accident, so they were sans food for that time.. when I came home, there were more snails than when I left instead of less. you would think some would have died from no food for 5 days... but no. they multiplied.

I don't know about clown loaches... I didn't think they'd be compatible with mollies. Plus, this is a 30 gallon tank. I don't think even one would do well in a 30 gallon. My mollies seem totally uninterested in snail snacks.

I'm just at wits end. They hatch more than I can pick out on a daily basis. I pick out 100, 200 hatch. I pick out 10, and you can guarantee there'll be 20 by the end of the night.

It really is getting insane. this is why I was thinking of just using salt (since mollies do ok with salt in the tank) but snails don't. I don't know. If I could just slow them down.

http://www.123aquatics.co.uk/showproduct.aspx?Url=esha-gastropex-1265&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Found this on a quick google, not sure what others think, never used it myself! :)

is that just a UK product? Cause I'm in the states...

Actually, ignore that - seems that it's a bit rubbih, found this topic on it - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/262424-esha-gastropex-aquatic-snail-treatment/

Actually, ignore that - seems that it's a bit rubbih, found this topic on it - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/262424-esha-gastropex-aquatic-snail-treatment/

lol. I kind of thought it sounded too good to be true. Salt is sounding better. lol

Will assasin snails eat them? You could get a few to eat them all then take the assasins out?

Will assasin snails eat them? You could get a few to eat them all then take the assasins out?

IMO It's probably always better to put another fish/snail in to eat them all if you can fit them i've heard assasin snails do a great job.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back