Blackwater Tank Maintenance

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ill wait until then. Going to change the water 2 more days i guess since i soaking my bathroom bucket (Indonesian thing) with IAL :),

That is a possibility... but it only is OK, depending on what fish the OP wants to keep. As you, I have no personal experience with blackwater tanks.
Th OP already has fish in the Tank... Here is his post:

11 Congo Tetra ( i bought 10 but they accidentally give me 1 more i guess? )
10 Albino Corys
4 RCS to clean my Algae Problems ( i know my Congo Will eat them soon after they matured so going to Move them back to my Shrimp tank )

After looking at SeriouslyFish.com, your pH is still in the green zone for the fish mentioned. Your tank water pH is a bit low for the Albino Cory cats, but not by much.

After looking at SeriouslyFish.com, your pH is still in the green zone for the fish mentioned. Your tank water pH is a bit low for the Albino Cory cats, but not by much.
Never heard that website. Going to check it out right now. Thanks for the info and yes i know My fish can live in low PH aquarium. I just dont want to mess up my parameter by mixing Tap Water with The Aquarium Water. They still Really young and I dont think they are Hardy enough and i might stress them. The corys size's are about 1.5 Cm

I've read through this thread and it does jump around a bit, so I will just provide some suggestions on the issues I spotted.

First, on pH. This is closely connected to the GH, KH and dissolved CO2. We need to know the numbers for the GH and KH. If the water authority won't tell you, maybe a local store will test these. You don't need to buy a test kit as you may only use it the once. GH and KH do not change substantially, unless you target them in the aquarium. If you do have it tested, get the numbers and their unit of measurement so we can be certain.

The GH (this is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water) and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) serve to maintain and buffer the pH so it resists changes. Depending upon these numbers, the accumulation of organics in the aquarium may or may not impact the pH and lower it. Organics includes fish excrement, any dead or dying matter, wood, leaves, peat, etc. The tint of the water has nothing to do with this directly, as you can have very soft and acidic water that is blackwater or clearwater.

Once an aquarium is biologically established (it takes a few months) the system should be stable enough to resist changes in pH from water changes.

Last edited:
Few solutions...

Keep a bucket or two of your leaves and driftwood (not used in the tank). Fill it with fresh tap water. Let it sit the day before a water change. Test the pH to see if its close. Use this water to refill your tank.

Or, do very small water changes every day. Maybe 10% each day, itll only lighten the water which will darken back up within a day or so, and wont affect the pH too drastically.

Blackwater tanks are surprisingly more work, but oh so fun. Yours i love, looks very natural.

I've read through this thread and it does jump around a bit, so I will just provide some suggestions on the issues I spotted.

First, on pH. This is closely connected to the GH, KH and dissolved CO2. We need to know the numbers for the GH and KH. If the water authority won't tell you, maybe a local store will test these. You don't need to buy a test kit as you may only use it the once. GH and KH do not change substantially, unless you target them in the aquarium. If you do have it tested, get the numbers and their unit of measurement so we can be certain.

The GH (this is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water) and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) serve to maintain and buffer the pH so it resists changes. Depending upon these numbers, the accumulation of organics in the aquarium may or may not impact the pH and lower it. Organics includes fish excrement, any dead or dying matter, wood, leaves, peat, etc. The tint of the water has nothing to do with this directly, as you can have very soft and acidic water that is blackwater or clearwater.

Once an aquarium is biologically established (it takes a few months) the system should be stable enough to resist changes in pH from water changes.
Thanks! Ill try to Meet up fish store & check it up.
I remember i have the number. But i forget where is it.

Few solutions...

Keep a bucket or two of your leaves and driftwood (not used in the tank). Fill it with fresh tap water. Let it sit the day before a water change. Test the pH to see if its close. Use this water to refill your tank.

Or, do very small water changes every day. Maybe 10% each day, itll only lighten the water which will darken back up within a day or so, and wont affect the pH too drastically.

Blackwater tanks are surprisingly more work, but oh so fun. Yours i love, looks very natural.
I might change the water 5-10 % Everyday.
I dont have any spare bucket & i use my Bucket for Bath (Indonesian Culture) ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back