Blackwater Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jaag

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Can you all tell me different types of blackwater fish, common and rare? I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Anything from the upper reaches of the Amazon River (tetras, hatchetfish, South American dwarf cichlids).
Bettas and gouramis from Asia.
Pygmy perch, Galaxiellas, salamanderfish from southern half of Australia.

Blackwater is simply freshwater that is stained with tannins from plant matter breaking down in it. The same thing makes tea that you drink. The tea leaves release tannins into the water and turn it dark. The more tannins, the darker the water gets.

I'm not sure how you defined rarer.

I think almost every species of fish that you can find in the blackwater are being bred and sold in the aquarium trade today.

Probably some species of Apistogrammas, Plecos that are less well known can be considered rarer.
Or those endangered species fish.
You may have to ask the fish experts who study the origin and biogeography of fish.

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me some of the rarer blackwater species?
Salamanderfish (Lepidogalaxias salamandroides). This fish is so rare, you will probably never see one, and it's habitat is being destroyed so it could well disappear in the next 20 years.

Galaxiella nigrostriata is rare and endangered and hard to find now.

Some unusual and not very commonly seen South American fish include: some species of pencilfish, some Apistogrammas, some species of angelfish and discus.

Some species of African killifish are uncommon.

For Apistogrammas species, you can check this website.
Look for the newly found species which are rare.
In my opinion, I think for rare species, you may have to purchase the wild caught species. But they are harder to keep as you have to keep them in the same water parameter as in the wild.
Might be more challenging unless the fish can easily adapt to different water parameter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back