Blackwater Aquariums

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TylerAquatics

Reaction score
I think these blackwater aquariums I've been seeing online look awesome and I have some fish from those areas that I would want to put in my 40 but I have a couple questions. My uncle said the tannins will make algae grow like crazy in my tank so I was wondering if that is true and what are some of the downsides of keeping a blackwater aquarium? Also even though they're not from blackwater conditions would it be safe to keep a betta in one? And if not what are some good centerpiece fish that won't get big enough to eat Amano shrimp?

Tannins don't encourage algae, if anything they reduce algae but reducing the amount of light that can penetrate the water. The more tannins in the water, the less light that gets through to grow plants and algae.

Blackwater tanks make it harder to see the fish and if something dies, it can be very hard to spot.

Bettas are found in blackwater habitats and also in clear water habitats.
Anywhere there is wood or dead plant matter in the water, there will be tannins. The more wood and dead plants, the more tannins in the water.

Tannins don't encourage algae, if anything they reduce algae but reducing the amount of light that can penetrate the water. The more tannins in the water, the less light that gets through to grow plants and algae.

Blackwater tanks make it harder to see the fish and if something dies, it can be very hard to spot.

Bettas are found in blackwater habitats and also in clear water habitats.
Anywhere there is wood or dead plant matter in the water, there will be tannins. The more wood and dead plants, the more tannins in the water.
Good to know thank you!

I think these blackwater aquariums I've been seeing online look awesome and I have some fish from those areas that I would want to put in my 40 but I have a couple questions. My uncle said the tannins will make algae grow like crazy in my tank so I was wondering if that is true and what are some of the downsides of keeping a blackwater aquarium? Also even though they're not from blackwater conditions would it be safe to keep a betta in one? And if not what are some good centerpiece fish that won't get big enough to eat Amano shrimp ?

As Colin noted, it can actually help control algae. Blackwater is not necessary for many fish - but some do really well in it. I would start looking for fish that prefer a blackwater environment and then figure out how to recreate it if need be. I have a tank that would be considered blackwater - it's due to the amount of wood I have in it. The water looks like tea - but I kind of like the look and the fish seem to really do well in there.

For a real blackwater tank you need a lot of decomposing leaf litter and a very low pH. You would likely have to manipulate your water chemistry to achieve this since simply adding tannins/leaves won't automatically lower your pH to the desired level. Imo that is a huge downside to blackwater tanks since they require a strong understanding of water chemistry to maintain that acidic environment. However, you could easily do a pseudo blackwater tank where you leave your pH alone and just have it tinted with tannins instead.

I think blackwater tanks are pretty low maintenance compared to planted ones. You don't have to trim, worry about CO2 or nutrients. And they are cool too.
Tannin doesn't promote algae growth as far as I know and is beneficial to bettas. Breeders actually use blackwater to boost health in their tanks.

Here is a great website full of good info and products, if interested!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back