Blackwater aquarium? Anyone? Share here pls!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Severine

Reaction score
Hello guys, if you have a blackwater fishtank, you can share it here, the more detail the better! Also if thereā€™s any question, I think we can discuss together with other members as well. Starting from me, thank you! :D

Attachments

• 424CE6C6-2586-4108-9AFB-20DF904788DA.jpeg
    424CE6C6-2586-4108-9AFB-20DF904788DA.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 3,293
Hello guys, if you have a blackwater fishtank, you can share it here, the more detail the better! Also if thereā€™s any question, I think we can discuss together with other members as well. Starting from me, thank you! :D
Looks good! Nice shoal you got going there.

This is mine.

46 gallon bowfront
PH 7.5
GH 120
Temperature: 78F
Plants: Amazon swords, hornwort
Stock: 1 dwarf gourami, 7 black neon tetras (soon will be 12), 15 pangio loaches, 15 corydoras, 1 L240 vampire pleco (grow out), 1 Farlowella Platorynchus, 1 Farlowella Vittata, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 bamboo shrimp, 3 assassin snails

I use both leaf litter and rooibos tea for tannins

20200910_011436.jpg

This is mine.

46 gallon bowfront
PH 7.5
GH 120
Temperature: 78F
Plants: Amazon swords, hornwort
Stock: 1 dwarf gourami, 7 black neon tetras (soon will be 12), 15 pangio loaches, 15 corydoras, 1 L240 vampire pleco (grow out), 1 Farlowella Platorynchus, 1 Farlowella Vittata, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 bamboo shrimp, 3 assassin snails

I use both leaf litter and rooibos tea for tannins

View attachment 117245
Wow nice setup man! Really love the bowfront as well! I used some leaf litters too but they always end up breaking down to small debris that are a little bit hard to get rid of :no:

Nice looking tanks, I have a tetra tank with 27 neon and 14 glow light tetras plus a couple of ember tetra set up as a sunken forest tank but not black water (yet) Still looking into it and the wife was not wild about the idea (dirty water):big_boss::dunno:

Nice looking tanks, I have a tetra tank with 27 neon and 14 glow light tetras plus a couple of ember tetra set up as a sunken forest tank but not black water (yet) Still looking into it and the wife was not wild about the idea (dirty water):big_boss::dunno:
Just sneak a pack of rooibos tea into the filter :angel: :whistle:

Well you can just put a driftwood and say you have no idea why itā€™s getting black :rofl:

Some info/ideas for you:

Some info/ideas for you:

Nice source man!

ED4ED7DE-907B-47D7-ABA0-90FA38AE4621.jpeg

This is my 200 l / 50 g blackwater tank
A25B4192-4D9A-4738-B20D-DA411BDB893A.jpeg
33CB0B8E-6CC5-4AA0-888F-4F77C995D83E.jpeg

t
23325676-92A7-4DA1-BFEF-3A8AE3C330B2.jpeg
94A58494-F3EC-4023-AEF8-8DBB62117C0A.jpeg
91B2C692-6EFD-4529-853E-11FCB2E7F494.jpeg

Thereā€™s a feast going on after i throw in an algae tablet, my kuhlis love it soooo much. I call the event ā€œThe Kuhli Conferenceā€ lol

so thereā€™s a DIY LED bar on top of the tank (hidden LED stripes), and a rail for 3 LEDspotlights, and a fan on the right side at the top of the tank.
Everything is handwired individually with toggle switches, so I can turn on & off each light and the fan, and the filter also (when Iā€™m cleaning the whole tank or the filter itself)
EA1C7794-778A-474A-ADB5-BE5D35CBB6F7.jpeg

I use external canister filter, it says: ā€œ2400l/hā€ on paper. I doubt that itā€™s the real capacity but I think itā€™s strong enough tho.
This is a heavily overstocked tank, I know, dont hate or judge me please, there are:
50/60 cardinal/neon/green neon tetras
9 fat kuhli loaches (they look more like snakes)
7 african dwarf frogs
5 celestial pearl danios
1 HUGE penguin tetra
5 pencilfishes
6 guppies
8 corydoras
2 nerite snails

Started in June 2020,
temp is 82 F, and God forsake me for I havent tested the water parameter even for a single time, but im pretty sure itā€™s well cycled and thereā€™s no sign of continuous death so far. I REALLY WANT TO GET A TEST KIT but itā€™s so pricey here, the API KIT costs around USD 60, crazy I know.
But when it comes to your mind ā€œso many fishes, lots of money spent on fishes more than the kit itselfā€, dude let me tell you, fishes are crazy cheap here so no wonder I could get them all to fill my tank. Even all my fishes dont cost me more than the price of a single kit here :fun:

if thereā€™s a single thing i could ask, i dont turn all the lights on at the same time, and never exceed 8 hours per day (some of them are just used when Iā€™m cleaning the whole tank so I could see much easier) but some green hair algae has been occuring since a few days ago.
if thereā€™s any blackwater fishtank owner here, are you experiencing algae growth? Let me know for sure, thank you!

I agree you do have a lot of fish, I am doing a 50% water change again today, sometimes I do up to 75% with 48 fish in my 55 gallon tank I want to make sure the water is clean. I like your fogbite, I can not get that here so have salvinia instead. I went from gravel to sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back