Blackwater aquarium? Anyone? Share here pls!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Severine

Reaction score
Hello guys, if you have a blackwater fishtank, you can share it here, the more detail the better! Also if there’s any question, I think we can discuss together with other members as well. Starting from me, thank you! :D

Attachments

• 424CE6C6-2586-4108-9AFB-20DF904788DA.jpeg
    424CE6C6-2586-4108-9AFB-20DF904788DA.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 3,281
Hello guys, if you have a blackwater fishtank, you can share it here, the more detail the better! Also if there’s any question, I think we can discuss together with other members as well. Starting from me, thank you! :D
Looks good! Nice shoal you got going there.

This is mine.

46 gallon bowfront
PH 7.5
GH 120
Temperature: 78F
Plants: Amazon swords, hornwort
Stock: 1 dwarf gourami, 7 black neon tetras (soon will be 12), 15 pangio loaches, 15 corydoras, 1 L240 vampire pleco (grow out), 1 Farlowella Platorynchus, 1 Farlowella Vittata, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 bamboo shrimp, 3 assassin snails

I use both leaf litter and rooibos tea for tannins

20200910_011436.jpg

This is mine.

46 gallon bowfront
PH 7.5
GH 120
Temperature: 78F
Plants: Amazon swords, hornwort
Stock: 1 dwarf gourami, 7 black neon tetras (soon will be 12), 15 pangio loaches, 15 corydoras, 1 L240 vampire pleco (grow out), 1 Farlowella Platorynchus, 1 Farlowella Vittata, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 bamboo shrimp, 3 assassin snails

I use both leaf litter and rooibos tea for tannins

View attachment 117245
Wow nice setup man! Really love the bowfront as well! I used some leaf litters too but they always end up breaking down to small debris that are a little bit hard to get rid of :no:

Nice looking tanks, I have a tetra tank with 27 neon and 14 glow light tetras plus a couple of ember tetra set up as a sunken forest tank but not black water (yet) Still looking into it and the wife was not wild about the idea (dirty water):big_boss::dunno:

Nice looking tanks, I have a tetra tank with 27 neon and 14 glow light tetras plus a couple of ember tetra set up as a sunken forest tank but not black water (yet) Still looking into it and the wife was not wild about the idea (dirty water):big_boss::dunno:
Just sneak a pack of rooibos tea into the filter :angel: :whistle:

Well you can just put a driftwood and say you have no idea why it’s getting black :rofl:

Some info/ideas for you:

Some info/ideas for you:

Nice source man!

ED4ED7DE-907B-47D7-ABA0-90FA38AE4621.jpeg

This is my 200 l / 50 g blackwater tank
A25B4192-4D9A-4738-B20D-DA411BDB893A.jpeg
33CB0B8E-6CC5-4AA0-888F-4F77C995D83E.jpeg

t
23325676-92A7-4DA1-BFEF-3A8AE3C330B2.jpeg
94A58494-F3EC-4023-AEF8-8DBB62117C0A.jpeg
91B2C692-6EFD-4529-853E-11FCB2E7F494.jpeg

There’s a feast going on after i throw in an algae tablet, my kuhlis love it soooo much. I call the event “The Kuhli Conference” lol

so there’s a DIY LED bar on top of the tank (hidden LED stripes), and a rail for 3 LEDspotlights, and a fan on the right side at the top of the tank.
Everything is handwired individually with toggle switches, so I can turn on & off each light and the fan, and the filter also (when I’m cleaning the whole tank or the filter itself)
EA1C7794-778A-474A-ADB5-BE5D35CBB6F7.jpeg

I use external canister filter, it says: “2400l/h” on paper. I doubt that it’s the real capacity but I think it’s strong enough tho.
This is a heavily overstocked tank, I know, dont hate or judge me please, there are:
50/60 cardinal/neon/green neon tetras
9 fat kuhli loaches (they look more like snakes)
7 african dwarf frogs
5 celestial pearl danios
1 HUGE penguin tetra
5 pencilfishes
6 guppies
8 corydoras
2 nerite snails

Started in June 2020,
temp is 82 F, and God forsake me for I havent tested the water parameter even for a single time, but im pretty sure it’s well cycled and there’s no sign of continuous death so far. I REALLY WANT TO GET A TEST KIT but it’s so pricey here, the API KIT costs around USD 60, crazy I know.
But when it comes to your mind “so many fishes, lots of money spent on fishes more than the kit itself”, dude let me tell you, fishes are crazy cheap here so no wonder I could get them all to fill my tank. Even all my fishes dont cost me more than the price of a single kit here :fun:

if there’s a single thing i could ask, i dont turn all the lights on at the same time, and never exceed 8 hours per day (some of them are just used when I’m cleaning the whole tank so I could see much easier) but some green hair algae has been occuring since a few days ago.
if there’s any blackwater fishtank owner here, are you experiencing algae growth? Let me know for sure, thank you!

I agree you do have a lot of fish, I am doing a 50% water change again today, sometimes I do up to 75% with 48 fish in my 55 gallon tank I want to make sure the water is clean. I like your fogbite, I can not get that here so have salvinia instead. I went from gravel to sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back