black, white, blue, or no background at all for betta tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

drpenquin

Reaction score
Im wondering on which colored background will give the least reflection inside the tank. Currently, Im using a black background on all 3 sides of my tank because Ive learned on the net that its better so that my betta cant see his reflection however, after Ive been using the black background I noticed that it reflects the plants, filter, heater, etc in the tank to the point that my betta keeps swimming into the glass . Any clue on background colors that wont give off much of a reflection?

You never want a white or light-tone background, as this is seriously detrimental to all fish. You do not want anything shiny as this reflects even more than a dull finish. Nothing works better all round than dull black, as in construction paper. You can also paint the outside with a dull finish black paint. I've always used black construction paper as it is very inexpensive, and it works.

If the glass is clean, it will reflect light, and there is no outside backing that will prevent this, not even paint. The glass itself is reflective. One trick to this is allowing algae to grow on the inside back wall. I left the back wall alone on my 29g blackwater tank, and rather nicely over a couple years the Java Moss on the wood in contact with the back wall spread over the wall.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back