Black, Swolen Lump On Betta's Body?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

victorybear

Reaction score
(Posted this on a different section on the forum as well. Hope this is ok. If not, let me know and I'll delete it.)

It started out with finrot, then what I thought was septicemia (see my previous thread for back story.) To make a long story short, I treated my betta for septicemia with Kanamycin for about a month (as per my LFS' advice), only to discover later that my dude was just changing his colors naturally. After realizing this, I stopped treating him and waited for his back fins to grow back. They never did, however. Instead, they started habitually flaking off in chunks. (I would notice slivers in the gravel when doing water changes.) Furthermore, the end of his body began to turn black. at first I thought that was just part of his natural color coming in, but the more time that passed, the less normal it looked. A few days ago, I noticed it had swollen up a bit. At this point, I have no idea what could be wrong, let alone how I can treat it. I put him back on Kanamycin for five days with no noticeable improvement, and have since stopped medicating. The only thing I can think of is a tumor. Any ideas, guys? I feel absolutely terrible. :(

Here's some photos to give you an idea. The change happened so gradually that I didn't notice how bad it was 'till I compared the photos. I feel like such a terrible owner. :( :( :(

These are from about a month ago:

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

These were taken today:

IMG_4950.png

IMG_4966.png

I understand these photos are absolutely terrible, but believe it or not, it was the best I could manage. I also drew a picture which I hope will help:

IMG_4980.png

*EDIT*

Forgot to include water parameters. Nothing has changed since my last thread. 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. Furthermore, he is not acting like a sick fish. He is still very lively and eating well.

Black growing tissue is usually necrosis, at least it is in humans.
The cause I'm afraid, is beyond me, but I would start personally considering his quality of life at this point.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back