Black Sand...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
im getting keiths new tank in a few weeks and am very tempted to use black sand. i was just wondering what black sand people have used on here and if poss show me a pic or 2....

also what it cost if you can remember :unsure:

It's dead expensive...

I'm getting black sand for my new tank and let me just say I'm glad it's a small tank :lol:

I use the Roman Pettex one, it's dead cheap and doesn't have any powder at all, goes in totally clear, it's lovely http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=1283&pf_id=52095&co=fr

In my tank

208cwpl.jpg

If you are paying pet shop prices for your substrate, the price of a black color is next to nothing compared to other colors. If you are accustomed to using play sand or a similar product, black sand will seem quite expensive. I use a lot of play sand and sand blasting sand in my tanks so, for me, black sand is a significant expense.

ive been and bought unipac limpopo black sand today.

its black with grey mixed in so hopefully will look just as i wanted :good:

Just to warn you before you use it - I got some limpopo sand last year, and checked it with a bit of vinegar. It fizzed. So I left some sand in a tub of water for a week, and also set up a tub of just water at the same time for comparison. After 7 days, the pH was 0.3 higher than the tub of water that had also stood for 7 days, and GH and KH were 2 german deg higher.

I didn't use it as I don't want my pH or hardness any higher than comes out of the tap.

thanks for the warning ill be sure to check it out before i lob it in the new tank....

has any one else used the unipac limpopo black sand before? :unsure:

I know this is an old thread but i'm going to get some pettex black sand to go in my 6x2x2. If anyone uses this how much do you think I would need to buy to cover the bottom enough to bury fake plants in it?

Thanks

I prefer the caribsea tahitan moon black sand from Pets@Home (cheaper online than in store). Its neutral so won't change your ph at all and its a pure black powder the pettex black sand is coated to give it its color so changes over time to a gray shade.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back