Black or white background for aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Navfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Which do you like better? black or white?

I prefer the black but Idk?

Attachments

• B87ACA29-8496-4122-8394-AC8DE15BA858.jpeg
    B87ACA29-8496-4122-8394-AC8DE15BA858.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 36
  • 5C359ED6-FC67-449A-BD06-E51E96232916.jpeg
    5C359ED6-FC67-449A-BD06-E51E96232916.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 34
Black. It hides algae much better and equipment blends into it more. Find the flattest black paper or poster board you can find.

If you plan to have fish in the tank, black (flat acrylic paint goes on well and is easy to remove if ever you wish to). I believe they respond to dark solid colour as if it's a bank or rock behind them - a safe zone predators won't launch out of. They also adjust their colours to the background, so darker colours equal stronger colours.

I tried doing the flat black stick on vinyl deal for my 10 gallon quarantine tank. It looks good overall, but the air bubbles we missed irriate me. I need to try the black poster board and stick it to the back of the tank...

I use the black window darkening stick on, easy to work with, much cheaper than conventional aquarium backgrounds. Plenty to choose from on Amazon.

Black, no question

Painting gives the best results, IMO

No one has mentioned the most important consideration, the fish. White is very stressful, much the same as no backing at all. Black is the most calming for fish. Make sure it is not shiny. Nothings is less expensive nor more effective than plain black construction paper. Not only are film less stressed, their colours (and those of plants and decor) are more vibrant. And the physical space looks larger to the aquarist, the back all but disappears.

Last edited:
I want to put something on my new tank but it's full and cycling...could I paint it now as long as I don't get paint in the tank (not sure how I would do that anyway)...

Black construction paper is a great idea...only issue for me there is I use suction cups on the back outside of my tank to better secure my intake/outtake hoses and the air line. I'd have to get it all on and cut out sections I guess to get the suction cups to work.

I want to put something on my new tank but it's full and cycling...could I paint it now as long as I don't get paint in the tank (not sure how I would do that anyway)...

Black construction paper is a great idea...only issue for me there is I use suction cups on the back outside of my tank to better secure my intake/outtake hoses and the air line. I'd have to get it all on and cut out sections I guess to get the suction cups to work.
You could use poster board and glue the suction cups in place.

Black for a better contrast in the tank...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back