Black Neons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

manddave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

My black neon fry are two weeks old and are being raised in a ten gallon hexagonal tank. They are about 5mm long. They slowly seem to be dissapearing. I have succesfully bred the black neons about 4 times but have never raised them to size.

The filter I am using is a 'resun magi-700' I have a stocking covering the water intake on the filter to stop the fry being sucked up into it. This also helps reduce the water outflow which is good, so the fry dont have much of a current to compete with.

At the moment I am feeding them with 'wardley small fry liquid fish food' (that was the only fry food the lfs had and the guy said it would still do the job) I feed them three times a day in small amounts.

The pH has remained constant at about 6.8. I have had no problems with ammonia or nitrite. I didnt do a tank cycle because I didnt think the bio load would be enough to keep the good bacteria alive with only fry providing the waste. Should I have done a cycle?

The tank has been having some problems. I have noticed that there has been lots of brown 'stuff' (im not sure what it is) that has been settling on the bottom of the tank and on the leaves of the (fake) plants. Also, today I got a magnifying glass and a lamp to inspect the tank closely and I noticed hundreds of little white bugs or something. They are about 1/4mm in length. My guess is that they look like free-swimming ich but am not sure because I have never seen ich swimming.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Can anyone give me some advice on how to raise the fry?

Thank you ;)

could be... hmmm. i don't know. is the temp ok? the fry are so small you most likely can't see if there is some fungus or something on them.. I would put an adult in the tank for a few weeks and see how it does. if it gets white spots or something on it you know there is ich or something in the tank. If it doesn't then the small things you see swimming around may be something good-food- and not something bad. just a suggestion. I would definitely find a book or check the internet and find out what is swimming around. good luck. I'm curious but can't really help.

hello easyE,

I have just had a closer look at the tank and fry and I think i can see the fry eating the white bug things, although I am not too sure. The fry are now about 4 or 5mm in length. Their stomachs are very deep so I am pretty sure that they are getting food. The temp is 26C. I dont think i will try to put an adult into the tank because I think it will eat the fry.

thanks for the advice ;)

Most reactions

Back