Black neon tetra with hole in gill and spreading

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My black neon tetra has a redish black hole going through its gill which i noticed yesterday evening when i removed him and put him in a container he just kinda layed at the bottom but fighting to swim. I panicked and put him back in the tank he was ok this morning except the hole was still there and he was kinda swimming up right. I also noticed another nbt had a redish patch on its gill. Is it spreading??? I cant see any visible parasites or anything on them but they do seem to have a loss of appetite. Ammonia0 nitrite 0 nitrate10 biweekly water changes of 30%

If using an iPhone then go into your photo, hit edit and use the box with arrows. Move the pic in with arrows to make it smaller.

Hmmm, reducing file size should have done it.

Yeah, I can’t really see the hole. I would do daily water changes of at least 50% (75% better) for the next 2 weeks. Add aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons on initial dose. After that when doing a daily 50% water change, add 1/2 tablespoon of salt back in. Be sure the aquarium salt is dissolved in a little tank water before adding to entire tank or it can burn fish. After things clear up, start doing 75% water changes and cleaning once a week. Let’s see if this does the trick. Keep us posted.

Is their any difference between aquarium salt and normal salt or epson salt. Also i have carbon in the tank will i remove these and with the salt could it kill my snails or plants.

Is their any difference between aquarium salt and normal salt or epson salt. Also i have carbon in the tank will i remove these and with the salt could it kill my snails or plants.
Don’t use table salt. It needs to be aquarium salt or you can use rock salt. If you have snails and lots of plants then I would cut the doseage in half. It never hurts mine but I don’t want to chance it with someone else’s. You really don’t need carbon in your tank except when you are attempting to remove meds. It loses its strength after a few weeks anyway.

Last edited:
Quick explanation:

Common salt is sodium chloride. This is table/cooking salt and aquarium salt. The difference is that table/cooking salts has things added, such as anti-caking agents and, in some places, iodate. Aquarium salt has nothing added.
Sodium chloride dissolved in water is a mild antiseptic.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate. It can be bought as pure epsom salt but it is also sold with perfume and colouring added for humans to add to the bath.
For fish use, epsom salt must be the pure type with no additives.This should not be added to the tank but used as a dip or bath for sick fish. Dissolved in water, it draws fluid out of body tissue and can be used to try to treat dropsy. I say try because often the underlying disease has advanced too far.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back