🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
20220626_131438.jpg
20220626_131448.jpg

Last edited:
I hope the tank is large, and the body armour of any tankmates is military grade...
Id only do a pair if i ever went down that road. Ive only ever seen juvenile or fully grown Haitian up close.

He was a nice size and i just liked hes personality

Wanted to just check i got I.d right as there was no description on the tank

I think a black nasty is usually referring to a Haitian cichlid. I think this is a Vieja possibly an Argentina or a Regani? I think they are both now Maskaheros. Both nice fish Regani is the smaller and more peaceful of the two both not quite as large as your Boucorti though the arg isn’t far off.

Great looking specimen though!

I dealt with them at the importer's place. Man, are they aggressive. I guess you could say they have personality, but it was like a room full of meth heads to to see them side by side in tanks.

Nandopsis haitiensis. I haven't seen any for years and am not into big fish, but that's what it looks like to me.

See i saw both. It looks to me like a nasties body with the long trail fin then its head looked vieja lol

Thats why i was curious to see what you guys thought

My wife come over to see the tank when the fish was interacting with me and said why dont you get him.

I said it could be one of these....
20220410_132614.jpg
she said oh god no! 🤣🤣🤣

I don't know much about Hatians, them and Cubans don't really do it for me - probably their reputations. But I'm think it is a Veija Argentina. Probably a male with very good fin extensions, the pattern on the side of the big shoulder spot and then three more down the side sort of feels right?

Some pics from google to show what I mean

1656257754926.png

1656257763376.png

I don't know much about Hatians, them and Cubans don't really do it for me - probably their reputations. But I'm think it is a Veija Argentina. Probably a male with very good fin extensions, the pattern on the side of the big shoulder spot and then three more down the side sort of feels right?

Some pics from google to show what I mean

View attachment 162012
View attachment 162013
Yeah i can see where your coming from wills.

Nice looking fish

Yeah i can see where your coming from wills.

Nice looking fish
A shop near me had a black belt as a store pet for years and always wanted one after seeing theirs. Stunning fish but need huge tanks and can be hard to get them to live with others.

Yeah awesome group love oscuras really tempted by them when/if I get my four foot tank.

Wills

Yeah awesome group love oscuras really tempted by them when/if I get my four foot tank.

Wills
Think a mix of Herichthys carpintis, tomocichla asfraci and Vieja oscuras could work in a 5ft set up.

Not sure on numbers of each but its the ones im drawn too atm

Yeah, I missed on that one. The head. The real Nandopsis not only wants to kill you, but it looks at you like it wants to kill you.

I'm guessing the big Cichlid world is as bedevilled with hybrids as any other area of the hobby, right?

Think a mix of Herichthys carpintis, tomocichla asfraci and Vieja oscuras could work in a 5ft set up.

Not sure on numbers of each but its the ones im drawn too atm
Hmmm hard to say I've not kept any of these before or even any fish like them really. From what I know the Oscura and Asfraci are not overly aggressive - the Oscuras are quite gentle really. The Carpintis could be an outlier on this.

I'm feeling really conservative on my cichlid suggestions at the moment - mainly when I think of my own 4 foot tank I think I'm going to keep a single cichlid in there but also kind of want some more...

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back