Black Moors question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So the 1 dollar a gallon sale is going on at petco right now. They have 29 gallon tall tanks and long tanks. I thought about setting up a tank as an early birthday present for my father and entertained the idea of making a goldfish tank. The only goldfish I think may be suitable would be black moor goldfish. I'd get no more than two in this tank given they can get sixish or so inches according to some other forums I've read. Just wondering if this idea is doable, if not I will just go with another tropical community tank. I've never kept goldfish myself, so some advice and informed opinions would be welcome.

Also, the black moors would be the only fish in this tank due to their bioload and the available space if I go through with this idea.

My set up would consist of:
29 gallon tall or long depending on goldfish suitability/species needs.

Black moon sand

Anubias everywhere

HOB filter and air operated sponge filter for oxygenation

Smooth decorative river rocks

Adjustable heater for the winter months as it can get cold at night.

And of course two black moor goldfish

NO driftwood/sharp/tall decor due to their delicate eyes.

You can squeak by with a 29G. Rule of thumb is 20G for first fancy or Moor and 10 for each additional. That being said, I just moved my 2 males from a 29G tall to a 45G because they grew considerably in a year. With Goldie’s, the bigger the tank, the better. One of my Moor’s in my 55G tank has grown from 1.5” when I got her to about 8” including tail. This only took 1.5 years. Your equipment and decor sound fine. I’d make sure to get 2 of the same sex. Otherwise, the male can damage the females eyes during breeding. I learned the hard way and now have my males and females separated. Good luck!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back