Black Molly White Blotches/spots

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flexa

Reaction score
Hey.

basically I've got a problem, you'll see in the picture below, My black Molly has white blotches all over it, however, I've always noticed it to have this, it's about 7-8 months old and I've never really thought nothing of it until recently when it got really eyecatching/obvious.

I've thought of a few possibility's;

White Spot.
Ich
Fungal disease.

Here is the picture.
photomi.png

any help would be appreciated!

-Dex

Right that immediately scream fungal infection to me, simply because it looks pretty nasty and somehow fluffy.
Can you post your water parameters please? that will help diagnose a problem.

Right that immediately scream fungal infection to me, simply because it looks pretty nasty and somehow fluffy.
Can you post your water parameters please? that will help diagnose a problem.

what would you like to know exactly?

Your water parameters..
i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Also what is your maintenance routine and what temperature is the tank kept at?

Your water parameters..
i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Also what is your maintenance routine and what temperature is the tank kept at?

my tanks roughly kept at about 26-27.

and I do 30% water changes every friday, Meaning I did one today.

and my ammonia and Nitrate levels are fine.

Fine isnt what we need, what are the actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

When you do your water changes, do you vaccum the gravel and clean the filter? If so, how do you clean the filter?

Fine isnt what we need, what are the actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

When you do your water changes, do you vaccum the gravel and clean the filter? If so, how do you clean the filter?

I change the filter sponges every two weeks. and my levels are 0.

PH is 7

You shouldnt change them, you get rid of all the good bacteria that have built up.

Stop changing them this often, you should only really have to replace them every 6 months, a half at a time.

What test kit are you using?

You shouldnt change them, you get rid of all the good bacteria that have built up.

Stop changing them this often, you should only really have to replace them every 6 months, a half at a time.

What test kit are you using?

I don't fully change all of the sponges, just the top one.

and where is this leading? I'm asking how to treat my fish, I'm not asking for a debate on what I use to test my tank.

Which one? The filter floss?

Do you wash the sponges at all?
How long has the tank been set up?

And I was asking because some test kits are more reliable than others, i.e. you may be getting false readings from older less reliable kits which could explain the infection. You aksed for help, but didnt provide enough information, im trying to gather information so that another member may be able to offer more advice.

Which one? The filter floss?

Do you wash the sponges at all?
How long has the tank been set up?

And I was asking because some test kits are more reliable than others, i.e. you may be getting false readings from older less reliable kits which could explain the infection. You aksed for help, but didnt provide enough information, im trying to gather information so that another member may be able to offer more advice.

Basically the Top thick one. I'm not sure which one that is.

and no, I never wash the sponges.
The tanks been set up now for about 2 months, however, this fish is 7 months old, none of the other fish in the tank are suffering, however, few of my smaller Molly's have died which I recently just added.

and alright, I understand you're only trying to help, and I'm not sure which one it is, it's just from my local aquarium.

You should really give the sponges a quick swish around in tank water, just to get rid of any debris, because it can reduce the flow of your filter, but thats a different issue.

I'm guessing the tank wasnt cycled when you got it? I'm just thinking it might be an infection caused by low immune system, caused by bad water conditions because of it not being cycled :/

Personally i would say the fish is suffering from Columnaris (see google images for more pics), treat with an anti bacterial medication, Stress Coat dechlorinator (helps replenish fishes natural slime coat which protects them from infection) & some aquarium salt (particularly beneficial for black Mollies).

You should really give the sponges a quick swish around in tank water, just to get rid of any debris, because it can reduce the flow of your filter, but thats a different issue.

I'm guessing the tank wasnt cycled when you got it? I'm just thinking it might be an infection caused by low immune system, caused by bad water conditions because of it not being cycled :/

it was cycled. the pump was only turned off for 15 minutes during the swap of the water, so the bacteria was still alive.

All in all, what do you suggest I do? the help the fish? I need to treat the full tank but I don't know exactly what I'm treating.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back