Black Molly suffering ammonia poisoning?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That is OK, the the bottom line is, the GH is very soft whether it is 3 or 5 dH. Each drop represents one degree dH.

Mollies cannot live long in soft water; other livebearers are the same, though mollies are especially sensitive and fairly quickly show symptoms. Clamped fins, shi8mmying swimming, resting on the bottom are all symptomatic of the fish not being able to function due to the lack of minerals.

The other fish that are soft water species (neon tetras were mentioned as one) will be fine in this GH. The issues to harden the water at their expense are not advisable.
I just edited my post, it actually took 9 drops for my aquarium water to turn green, so its pretty hard. Not sure it 5 was put in.
So Mollies and Tetras have different water hardness preferences, and tetras like soft water, mollies like hard water? In that case, the tetras in the tank maybe having issues with the hard water that I haven't noticed. Another question, if my tap water is so soft, why is the aquarium water so hard?

I just edited my post, it actually took 9 drops for my aquarium water to turn green, so its pretty hard. Not sure it 5 was put in.
So Mollies and Tetras have different water hardness preferences, and tetras like soft water, mollies like hard water? In that case, the tetras in the tank maybe having issues with the hard water that I haven't noticed. Another question, if my tap water is so soft, why is the aquarium water so hard?

GH of 9 dH is not hard water, this is soft water. It depends upon the specific species, but mollies need water that is at minimum 12 dH, and anything harder is OK, up to 30 dH. All livebearers other than mollies should have 10 dH at very minimum, but again it is better for these fish if it is harder.

Soft water species (tetras, rasboras, etc, etc) are soft water and 9 dH will be OK for all but the most delicate.

If there is an actual difference in GH between tap water and aquarium water, it is possible that something calcareous in the aquarium is dissolving mineral into the water. Substrate and rock composed of calcareous rock (limestone for example) can do this. Make sure you are correctly testing...it is the first drop that changes the colour to a very light green that is the result.

GH of 9 dH is not hard water, this is soft water. It depends upon the specific species, but mollies need water that is at minimum 12 dH, and anything harder is OK, up to 30 dH. All livebearers other than mollies should have 10 dH at very minimum, but again it is better for these fish if it is harder.

Soft water species (tetras, rasboras, etc, etc) are soft water and 9 dH will be OK for all but the most delicate.

If there is an actual difference in GH between tap water and aquarium water, it is possible that something calcareous in the aquarium is dissolving mineral into the water. Substrate and rock composed of calcareous rock (limestone for example) can do this. Make sure you are correctly testing...it is the first drop that changes the colour to a very light green that is the result.
Got it, that makes sense.
So she's probably having issues because of the soft water? If that is what is going on, my question would be, why is she now showing symptoms? Its very possible that the water hardness changed when we took the tank since we lived in different area's, but would it take 6 months for her to start having issues with it? If that is what is causing issues, then does that mean she isn't going to survive if she doesn't get hard water?
Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it.

Ah, so sorry. Lesson learned though although no-one is pointing a finger at you.
I too had fish in the wrong water many times as a newbie and also learned the hard way.

Unfortunately, the Molly died. 😔
Assuming water hardness was the cause?
Sorry the Molly died, this is just a good Leason about how delicate our fish are and how careful we must be when introducing them into an environment they may not be accustomed to.

Unfortunately, the Molly died. 😔
Assuming water hardness was the cause?

Yes, I do not think there is any doubt. You asked above about the time...fish are designed through evolution to function best in "x" environment, which includes GH, pH and temp of water. Once they are forced into a different environment, the effects can vary in how long they take to manifest themselves. Different fish within a species, different species, and the degree of the difference(s) all factor in, but one thing is an absolute certainty--the fish will have more difficulty just carrying out normal necessary functions of its life. This might continue for some time, or it might manifest itself quickly.

Thanks everyone, it is difficult, sometimes thats how it goes I guess. :sad: I appreciate all the feedback, sorry for the late reply.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back