Black Molly suffering ammonia poisoning?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Weeg

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I fed by fish and noticed by Black Molly struggling to swim. I think that issue is ammonia poisoning. I feel awful! I know I have neglected and procrastinated cleaning the tank, and now I'm seeing the consequences.
Last evening it was sitting on the bottom flapping its fins as if it couldn't swim. This morning it was swimming around, but seemed a bit uncoordinated. I cleaned the tank immediately, did about a 75% water change? Added a double dose of Prime water conditioner, and aquarium salt. I hoped it would recover quickly. This afternoon it is swimming in circles, upside down, sideways, backwards, doing flips. Its very uncoordinated and I feel so helpless, and am so disappointed in myself.
Is there anything I can do? I just tested the water for ammonia and its reading a 0.25? Maybe a little darker? I didn't test it before I drained it, I didn't think about it. Should I separate it in a different container that will have 0 ammonia? I don't have a separate heater or anything, for it, not even a second tank. I would have to use a large bowl/container or jar.
How likely is it that it will recover? I lost a Neon Tetra just the day before, probably the same issue.
Should I drain the water and refill again?
I just fed them and it started swimming normally for food, looked like it was swimming much easier than when I fed this morning. Still doing back flips, and "handstands" while its at it. :sad:
Thanks for the help everyone, I really hope theres something I can do. I hate learning the hard way.

Don't separate the fish, any other fish will be being poisoned too so you need to manage the main tank.
Test for ammonia and nitrite every day. Whenever they are above zero you need to do a 75% water change.

Also, do ammonia detoxifying products work? Such as Ammo Lock? I could possibly pick some up tomorrow if that would be helpful. Doing a water change might be the best "treatment" is my understanding so far, but maybe this would help? 🤷‍♀️

Don't bother with ammonia removing substance.

If you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change every day until the levels are on 0ppm.

Reduce feeding too, the less food going in the less ammonia produced.

You can buy bottles of liquid filter bacteria supplement from most pet shops and online. I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week and then pour the remaining contents into the tank. try to add the supplement near the filter intake so the bacteria gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

Don't bother with ammonia removing substance.

If you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change every day until the levels are on 0ppm.

Reduce feeding too, the less food going in the less ammonia produced.

You can buy bottles of liquid filter bacteria supplement from most pet shops and online. I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week and then pour the remaining contents into the tank. try to add the supplement near the filter intake so the bacteria gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.
Got it, will do! Thank you! I figured the best course of action was likely water changes, I'll see about getting the filter bacteria. I'm using an under gravel filter, assuming the bacteria will still work with that? Thank you so much.

I concur with @Colin_T above. There is another issue though, and likely the one here, and that is the water parameters. Parameters refer to the GH (hardness), KH, pH and temperature. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are water conditions, just to be clear.

What is the GH? And pH? This is critical for mollies.

I concur with @Colin_T above. There is another issue though, and likely the one here, and that is the water parameters. Parameters refer to the GH (hardness), KH, pH and temperature. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are water conditions, just to be clear.

What is the GH? And pH? This is critical for mollies.
Interesting. I was just reading on a thread yesterday that different fish species are very susceptible to different water hardness. I had no idea about that until I joined, so glad I did! That would make sense if it was part of the issue, since none of the other fish seem to be affected.
I currently don't have a GH test kit, but I can get one today. I do have a pH kit, which I'll test for right now.

Are you on mains water or a well? If it's mains water, your water provider's website should give your hardness. Look for a number and the unit of measurement as there are several units they could use.

Are you on mains water or a well? If it's mains water, your water provider's website should give your hardness. Look for a number and the unit of measurement as there are several units they could use.
Good to know, though we are on a well. :confused:

On another note, I tested the pH and its reading at 7.6. According to Google, thats about right for Mollies?

It is possible to have pH over 7 with soft water. You do need to know the hardness, or GH. Mollies don't do well in soft water.

Do you have a fish store you trust enough to ask them to test GH?

It is possible to have pH over 7 with soft water. You do need to know the hardness, or GH. Mollies don't do well in soft water.

Do you have a fish store you trust enough to ask them to test GH?
Currently I don't have a relationship with any fish stores in the area. I do know of one that we went into originally to look for fish. The lady there was really nice. I don't have a relationship with them, so not entirely sure how trustworthy they would be, but I could have them test GH for me.

Okay, I just got back and tested the tank for GH. To my understanding, GH is measured by how many drops it takes for the water to turn from orange to green? I've never tested for water hardness before. It took 9 drops of solution for my aquarium water to turn green.

Last edited:
It took 3 drops for my tap water to turn green. The water in the test tubes are two different colors, is that normal? One is a brown green, and one is a blue green?

It took 3 drops for my tap water to turn green. The water in the test tubes are two different colors, is that normal? One is a brown green, and one is a blue green?

That is OK, the the bottom line is, the GH is very soft whether it is 3 or 5 dH. Each drop represents one degree dH.

Mollies cannot live long in soft water; other livebearers are the same, though mollies are especially sensitive and fairly quickly show symptoms. Clamped fins, shi8mmying swimming, resting on the bottom are all symptomatic of the fish not being able to function due to the lack of minerals.

The other fish that are soft water species (neon tetras were mentioned as one) will be fine in this GH. The issues to harden the water at their expense are not advisable.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back