black lily leaves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OnlyGenusCaps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Before I begin, let me cover two things:
1. Yes, I know I have algae issues.
2. This is not an emergency, as if I lose this lily, everyone will survive (well, except the lily).

I've got a tank with high pH and low nutrients (another thread) that I am trying to find the right balance on. To get the plants nutrients, I added root fert (Seachem if that maters) a couple weeks ago. Working well for most stuff. Interestingly, the lily has taken a turn for the worse. Not sure why. The leaves of the lily have gone black just as the other plants have started to grow in earnest.

If someone has seen this before, and knows what's happening, I'd be curious. I've grown lilies in pond settings with zero issues for years, so this one is a bit of a surprise. If no one knows what's happening, then no worries. Just check out how weird the leaves look.

black lily leaves.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in! Good to know the distance to the tab is not too close. I'm not shocked given that in ponds at least lilies seem to be quite hungry. Nice to know it's similar in the aquarium.

On another note, I'm not sure about allelopathy. That is something that in invoked on pattern alone on many cases. Often falsely. By laymen and scientists alike. Without solid evidence, it is one of the things I am as a default leery of accepting as a mechanism. But that's my own baggage.

That is perfectly fine. Trust but verify, as we say in our house. The reason I even brought it up is because I just went through something similar with my Microsorum pteropus "Windelov", when the leaves started darkening from the base towards the tips a mere few days after I introduced Egeria densa into the tank. Pretty impressive how fast that took place. I moved the java fern to another tank and it is now showing signs of recovery.
:dunno:

That is perfectly fine. Trust but verify, as we say in our house.
That's a good axium.
The reason I even brought it up is because I just went through something similar with my Microsorum pteropus "Windelov", when the leaves started darkening from the base towards the tips a mere few days after I introduced Egeria densa into the tank. Pretty impressive how fast that took place. I moved the java fern to another tank and it is now showing signs of recovery.
:dunno:
Odd pattern for sure. I've growth those two together in the past successfully. Glad it is recovering, whatever the cause!

Update: So, the lily was recovering well, and then today it began losing all of its leaves again. Same thing. Same look. But this time I was able to correlate it with something I'd done - my application of H2O2 to combat my staghorn algae yesterday.

It seems that much in the same way that the staghorn is sensitive to the treatment, but the green carpet algae is not; the lily is by far the most sensitive plant in the tank to this particular manipulation.

So, be advised that if you too are planning on using H2O2 as a treatment in your tank and have a water lily in there, it might be sensitive depending on your dosage.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back