Black Hair Algae and Unknown

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
is that caribsea supernaturals a good alternative ?

If it is actual sand, yes. They have some much larger (too large) gravels shown for this name. And you want to avoid white.

Any other recommendations when I do swap the substrate ?

It can take all day to do this, I would suggest a spare tank, doesn't have to be large, but one you can put the filter and heater from the display tank in, along with floating plants and some lower decor for shelter. Then you don't have to worry. When I changed my 5-foot tank it took all day, and it was late in the afternoon so I waited until the next morning to move the fish back, much less stressful if they have a day ahead of them to get used to their new home. I changed all my 8 tanks to sand, and the Flourite disaster was two changes. A spare tank really does make life easier here.

If it is actual sand, yes. They have some much larger (too large) gravels shown for this name. And you want to avoid white.

It can take all day to do this, I would suggest a spare tank, doesn't have to be large, but one you can put the filter and heater from the display tank in, along with floating plants and some lower decor for shelter. Then you don't have to worry. When I changed my 5-foot tank it took all day, and it was late in the afternoon so I waited until the next morning to move the fish back, much less stressful if they have a day ahead of them to get used to their new home. I changed all my 8 tanks to sand, and the Flourite disaster was two changes. A spare tank really does make life easier here.

And if you don't have or want to buy a spare tank, a food-safe storage tote like this one makes a great temporary set up!
storagebox.jpg

I use one as a quarantine tank, hospital tank, or for a situation like this! Can just transfer the equipment onto the tote, throw the plants in along with the fish, and buy yourself some time to get the substrate swap done with minimal stress. Just make sure the heater has a guard on it, and sit it on some stones, and make sure to get a food-grade tote, and you're set. can leave them in here for a few days, or longer, depending on stocking and water volume.

And if you don't have or want to buy a spare tank, a food-safe storage tote like this one makes a great temporary set up!
View attachment 143209

I use one as a quarantine tank, hospital tank, or for a situation like this! Can just transfer the equipment onto the tote, throw the plants in along with the fish, and buy yourself some time to get the substrate swap done with minimal stress. Just make sure the heater has a guard on it, and sit it on some stones, and make sure to get a food-grade tote, and you're set. can leave them in here for a few days, or longer, depending on stocking and water volume.
Only backup tank I have is a 1.5 gal my wife had for a hermit crab lol I had my old 30 gal sitting in my basement but the cats run around down there and water seeps in so I got rid of it before it got ruined. I may be able to snatch one off a buddy of mine because last night I noticed when I was cleaning the tank, some of silicon in the corners was coming off, not in the crease itself but the far edges of the silicon. So if I am going to be doing all this I may just see if he has a spare tank and go ahead and reseal mine.

I bought this tank used but it was only 2 years old and when I cleaned it out before setting it up I think I may have loosened some of the silicone up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back