Black Goldfish Vs Orange Goldfish?! Need Help.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

naweeddarr

Reaction score
:unsure: Im kinda confused here, maybe you can help. This is my story so far..

My first fish were 2 common goldfish i had won from the funfair. I kept them in a rather small fishbowl. After a few months, one died.. so one was left on it own. I then went to a fish shop and bought a black goldfish i think they are called moores. Anyway they started fighting, i thought it was because the common goldfish had been on its own for some time now. So i bought a new fishbowl which was much bigger. After a while they stopped fighting. So i got another orange (moore) goldfish.

Currently i have a big aquarium which holds 90 litres = 23.78 US gallons.
Here are the aquarium specs..

• 62x39x52cm
• 90 Litres Capacity
• Complete with built in biological wet/dry filter and double fluorescent lighting
• Complete with filter media
• Available in silver and black
• Seamless front and side glass creates optimum viewing
• Swivel lid protects water from environmental pollutants such as dust and gives easy access for feeding and maintenance
• Suitable for fresh and salt water fish
• Suitable for cold water or tropical fish

So my questions are as follows...
Can i keep these common and moore type goldfish with tropical fish?
Should i get another black moore due to the 2 orange goldfish always swimming together away from the black fish?
Can goldfish handle temps of 24 degrees?

The people at the fish shop told me that i could mix the 2 but are they only trying to make business?
Do the goldfish really eat small fish??

Please Help!!!

Some have told me that goldfish live for long in tropical aquariums. I have currently only got the goldfish in the aquarium due to not knowing what i can actually put in. :shout:

Keeping fancy (round bodied ie moors, veil tails, lionhead) goldfish with common goldies (commets, shubunkins) is never a good idea. The later being typically more agressive. They will complete for food, usually with the fancies loosing out.

While your 90L tank is a lot bigger than the bowl you originally had them in, it is still too small for goldfish for anything more than temporary housing as juveniles. Long bodied goldfish will grow to well over 12" and up to 24" and should be in a really BIG tank (100G+) because they are such big swimmers and round-bodied fancy goldfish, which only grow to around 8" but have nearly equal body mass so they both need a lot of water volume to dilute the amount of waste that they put out.

I think this site recommends 20G for the first fancy goldfishh and 10G for each additional fancy goldfish but that is only OK for when they are young. At adult size, they need 30G or more per fancy goldfish.

I realize you like goldfish but since you also like tropicals, you should make the 90L a tropical tank, if you have a heater, or a coldwater tank (but no goldfish) if you don't have a heater.

The common type and fancy dont fight no more, but having 20g.. which is nearly my whole 90l tank is to much...do tropicals take less space? I do have a heater.

The common type and fancy dont fight no more, but having 20g.. which is nearly my whole 90l tank is to much...do tropicals take less space? I do have a heater.
There are some smaller types of tropicals that might fit well in your 90L (mollies or guppies or platys or some types of tetras with maybe some corys- all these fish are colourful, fun to watch and relatively hardy :good: ) but you will have to watch you don't overstock. I don't know heaps but i know that most other, bigger tropical fish need wayyyy more space, just like your goldys. If you want to go for tropicals there are some great pinned threads up in the tropical section about stocking levels and compatibility, written by people who really know their stuff.
Suggest that you really need to get the goldys out of that small tank asap (speaking as someone who out of ignorance used to keep goldys in tanks that were much too small :blush: ).

which is nearly my whole 90l tank is to much...do tropicals take less space? I do have a heater.

Too much? More like too little. 90l isn't anywhere near big enough for a single adult common goldfish, let alone the rest of the fish. Perhaps you should have found out how to look after the fish you had before you decided to get even more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back