Black Ghostknife Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

abbiemc1991

Reaction score
I have a black ghostknife fish and i was wondering if it was normal for it to just lay on it's side???

no, just like any other fish if its on its side that means its going to die because something is wrong with it. it should always be up right and swimming.

does it look skinny? is it eating?

no, just like any other fish if its on its side that means its going to die because something is wrong with it. it should always be up right and swimming.

no its quite chunky and eating quite alot, it only seems to be on its side in day time strange!!

How big is your tank, OP, and how long has it been set up? Have you tested the water or done a water change? How long have you had the knife fish and what other fish are in the tank?

its a 250l been set up over a year now. it has 3 silver sharks, 2 plecs and 2 mollys. only had him a week

i know this is an old thread, but my BGK lays on it's side, back, face, whichever way all the time.........it's the nature of these nifty little fish.

That is incorrect. Have you owned one before? Totally normal behaviour... they lay on there side just like clown loach do, You have nothing to worry about.

i meant that if it is lying on its side not moving type of thing. and yes i do have this kind of fish. eating well and is never on its side. always swimming back and forth all around etc etc.

They are predominantly nocturnal so when happy within a cave or somewhere dark this is when they will usually rest. Do you have anywhere dark for the knife fish to rest or is your tank quite open which would explain why it is never on its side.

It is normal activity for BGK in my opinion mine does it all the time hes nice and fat and healthy. In a 75 gal had him for 2 years so doing something right lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back