Black Ghost Knife Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jwalser18

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all.

So, I have a 55 that's been up and running for quite some time now..
but it's been boring. 
Here's the stocking:
10 cory's
1 firemouth
10 blackskirts
1 blood parrot
and a recent aquire.. the black ghost knife.

I set up multiple caves for him to chill in (one being a hollow (coral) decoration. this one seems to be his favorite. Before he found it he used to be out and about, but the past few day's he's deep in his cave ALL THE TIME. I know he will outgrow.. But, anything I can do in the meantime to ensure he's eating? I feed LATE at night with the lights off.. but I think my cory's are still getting the food, idk. Any advice, tips,etc (how my tank should be decorated) ANYTHING to help, let me know.

ATTACHMENT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEM2B5VNIq0

A quick clip of the tank (ignore the angels, recently rehomed) and let me know what you would change, etc. PLEASE NO FLAME ON FAKE PLANTS--REALLY TIRED OF IT.

Rehome the black ghost knife while you still can. Terrible fish for our hobby IMO.

i disagree with the above, although many new and inexperience fish keepers buy them because of there fascination and are often miss treated and not cared for properly.

Make sure it has a couple of dark caves that will keep it covered and don't worry till it gets used to its surroundings and feel comfortable it will be mostly nocturnal, if you are really worried it is not eating then feed just as the lights go off and get a dim torch.

a word of warning though they do grow fairly large at about 45cm but take a eternity to get to that size and as i have found out they are very fond of eyes and with me it was particularly corys in the early days when i first got it also it has a very large mouth when fully extended and can fit any small bodied tetra in without much hassle.

thank you Liam. I'm well aware of the size, but I'm also very aware of the growth time. I just want to make sure he's okay. Liam did you happen to see the video?

Sorry not familiar with keeping the BGK fish, although they are interesting fish I have never taken one on due to their potential requirements not fitting in with what I keep.

A quick clip of the tank (ignore the angels, recently rehomed) and let me know what you would change, etc. PLEASE NO FLAME ON FAKE PLANTS--REALLY TIRED OF IT.
Re: the above question, I took a look at the video, plus one of your others.  I cannot see the BGK in the video, and I watched it twice, at which point is he meant to appear?

You seem to like bright colours and as I am more into the natural look I am not sure how to advise you.  However, one thing I would consider, is changing your pre-filter sponges (I am assuming that is what they are?) to black, thereby blending in with the pipes and less obvious.  I used to use a pre-filter sponge, however, I found that it was always clogging up and slowing the filter down.  I now use ornaments near the intake to protect the fish, although a healthy fish will rarely get attached to a filter intake I have read some horror stories.  Most of mine now just have the strainers on them.

Give us some ideas about what guidance you would like re: your tank preferences and then we maybe able to come up with further options for you.

I'm rehoming all the fish with the exception of the Blood Parrot, and doing a cichlid tank.. thanks for the help though guys(and girls?)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back