Black Ghost Knife Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rhyswebb

Reaction score
To day I went down to my loacal maidenhead aquatics to by a BGKF and I was told that I could keep one in my "2 foot" tank but my other fish would be in big trouble.(3-danios,1-white cloud,1-Sucking loach).What other oddballs could i keep with it??
They cost £9-50 wich is a good price.

Could eny body help me with info or enything else about this fish??

I'm getting incredibley confused/frustrated because some of the books say sutible for community setup others say no and its all a mess to me!!

if you could help me ill be very greatfull!!

black ghost knife fish can grow to 18" in the wild but in captivity, they are only going to grow to about 10-12". they need a ph of around 6.5-7 nitrate should not rise above 25-30. they are quite a delicate fish and should not be kept with agressive fish such as barbs which could nip them. they would probably eat your danios and white clouds but just watch your sucking loack as they can get a little teratorial. it should be ok for your 2' tank for now but it would eventually need a tank of about 4' at least. these are amazing fish and use a weak electrical field to navigate around murky waters.

Rhys,
I have had my Ghost for around 3 years now. Mine has never bothered my cardinal tetras and small fish. He is about 6-7 inches long and I didn't have a real knowledge about him before I got him. He CAN?? grow up to 2 feet in length but that is not likely. They are fine with most BUT they can be a little hard on the fancy fin kinds. Their mouths are very small compared to their bodies so you have to be really little for them to eat you.
Most of his life was spent in a 30 gallon tank with harlequins, cardinal tetras, a red finned shark, and 2 small cory cats. I have only had 2 problems with him. He did shred the tail of a betta I tried to put in the tank....again the fancy fins stuff. The other was the red finned shark started to become aggressive towards ghost when the shark started to get bigger.
If and when I get another ghost it will not be in a tank smaller then a 55gallon (US) at minimum. Can they live in smaller tanks? Sure they can but it will stunt their growth. If you have anymore questions please send me a PM or I will try and keep checking this post.
Signed,
Sondan
P.S. My ghost is the most rewarding fish to me that I have ever had but to be honest he is also the most delicate fish I have ever had.

Added: I did have a problem everyonce in a while (1 or 2 times a year) with a tetra or such loosing an eyeball. I have read somewhere that ghosts are eye biters so this maybe. But almost all of my tetras and such died of old age.

Ahh yes the black ghost knife. Brilliant fish, brilliant. I will answer your questions 3.

To day I went down to my loacal maidenhead aquatics to by a BGKF and I was told that I could keep one in my "2 foot" tank but my other fish would be in big trouble.(3-danios,1-white cloud,1-Sucking loach).What other oddballs could i keep with it??

If you are saying what other 'fish' well my clown loaches and angels are very gentle fish and don't bother him at all. In fact during feeding time, my black ghost comes out of his hidey-hole and shoals with my clowns. If you meant what other "oddballs" then spiny eels are gentle companions to go with them and cause no threat. Butterfly fly and the mexican walking fish are other oddballs that go well with the black ghost, however, I warn you that the fish I have mentioned require big tanks to house them at least 55g. I suppose passive New World Cichlids, Plecos, and scavenger Catfish would be good tankmates too.

They cost £9-50 wich is a good price.

9.50 pounds sounds a little expensive in aust, but in UK i suppose its cheap. according to my knowledge the bgks here cost about 5.50 pounds and they are about 2.5 inches long. So in short, good deal :thumbs:

Could eny body help me with info or enything else about this fish??

The Black Ghost Knifefish is a member of the Apteronotidae family and the speckled knifefish group. It is considered a true bony fish. When properly cared for, the Black Ghost Knifefish can reach well over one foot in length. It possesses a weak electrical organ at the caudal peduncles which is used to locate food. It requires a minimum of a 55 gallon tank with excellent filtration. It is generally timid and reclusive, preferring a fine-gravel-bottom aquarium with plenty of roots and rocks for hiding places, as well as subdued to dark lighting. To better appreciate this fish, many hobbyists will purchase a "ghost tube," a clear plastic tube that facilitates viewing during the day. Once accustomed to its surroundings, the Black Ghost Knifefish can become incredibly tame and trusting to the point of being hand-held. It does well with other, larger species of a peaceful nature, but may be aggressive towards those of similar or smaller size. Omnivorous, the Black Ghost Knifefish will eat all types of live foods including meat, chopped earthworms, as well as frozen and flaked foods.

I'm getting incredibley confused/frustrated because some of the books say sutible for community setup others say no and its all a mess to me!!

They are suitable for communities, depending on the fish though. When they get big they get aggressive. I remember one bit my finger at the lfe when I carelessly put it in.

if you could help me ill be very greatfull!!

HTH! :D

ukjay said:
sexing bgkf ????? :cool:
don't even think about it. hard enough keeping them in your tank (even though i find it easy :p ) Just Shouldn't think about it. I have never done it, maybe someone else has considered it.

Sleeping yes....and the last few months mine has even started just hovering upside down. :lol: I got scared about it at first but then after a few days of nothing happening I just shook my head and wondered ???? :thumbs: But back to the question mine is always laying on the bottom of his tube sleeping. If you want to really see him jetting...turn on a room light about 2, 3, or 4 in the morning and OH MAN you will not see him sleeping then.
Signed,
Sondan

cheers sondan i was a bit worried.........old old are urs ?
or how long ya had them ?

I have had two. My first one lived a few months but I messed with him and killed him. He was definitely a learning curve. My second one though is alive and well. He is about 3 to 4 years old and I got him when he was about 3 inches long. He is now about 6 to 7 inches long. He may have grown bigger but I kept him in a 30 gallon which I won't make that mistake again if I get another. I can't say exactly how old he is but I know he is at least 3. If you can get them past the first 6 months then I think YOU (the owner) has a good chance of keeping them. For me the biggest thing again is just not messing with him. He is hand fed but that is about the most I try and ever do with him. In contrast my oscar is hand fed, trained to jump, and maybe some more things if I can think of them :lol: .
Signed,
Sondan
P.S. Here is a small show of my Ghost (but it is a few months old). Ghost

P.S. Here is a small show of my Ghost (but it is a few months old). Ghost

LOL @ background sounds again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok heres a nother one for ya do thay spend a lot of time on their side normally ?

I have never actually seen that type of activity with my bgk, maybe it sleeps in the ornament. -_- But I have seen that with other bgk's so its ok. :thumbs:

digging this post up from a while back...

is it true ghost knife's eat tetras and guppies? one books says they do, the other says they dont

They most certainly can and probably will, in the wild all knife fishes are predators and have large mouths for swallowing live prey.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back