Black Ghost Knife Fish Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
:'( Maybe i do panic alot but like i said i dont want to loose another life... 3 down i dont want to make it 4 ...ya know... i put more water to set room temp for tomorrow... ill change another 20% tomorrow...

How do you normally do water changes?

Do you just leave the water to stand?

he is 4 inches maybe 3-4 worms is all he can handle???

i use filtered water and i let it sit becuase the water comes out real cold and the temp in tank is 78 so i dont wanna shock em or u know let em freeze to death.. well i start out by taking the water out and then i slowly put in the filtered temp. water in and its clean and fine and i use a net to clean the waste that are floating around and or stuck on the hiding place

What kind of filter is it?

Do you not use a gravel cleaner or syphon?

filter came with tank so i dont know i would have to ask my dad ... i can try and check

BGK, just curious but how old are you? Do you think you could also have your parents try and help you with the tank?

If this one does not live, don't beat yourself up - from what I have heard they need very special care.
I suggest taking time like you are now and learning a lot about how to care for them.
Weekly water changes are very important. When you add the water in, to be safe it would do no harm to treat it with a dechlorinator. Also, letting it sit out to adjust to the tank temperature is a very good move - too cold or too hot can shock the fish.
Do not add any chemicals to adjust your pH. Changes in pH are more stressful to fish than a steady pH. If you bought your fish locally, then he is used to your local pH.
Do not try and force feeding and be careful about over feeding. Eating too much is as bad as not eating enough!
Go to your tank and look at the filter. It should have a brand name/model on it. Post that here.

Sorry, cross posting with Jenste there.

I don't mean the filter in the tank; you said you used 'filtered water' for your water changes? What kind of filter is that?

Im 16 getting a bgk was my idea ever since i found out about them ive been in love and wanted one i researched about then for atleast 1-2 months before i got a tank and got one

Sorry, cross posting with Jenste there.

I don't mean the filter in the tank; you said you used 'filtered water' for your water changes? What kind of filter is that?

O that filter its just water filtered that we drink the ones we have at home on the fridges or the new ones u can buy that connects to the sink and filters ur water

Ok; I just wanted to check in case it was a water softener (they replace calcium with sodium and are disasterous for fish; I thought we might have solved your problem for a minute there *sighs*).

its ok ... well he does seem to be a lil tired of swimming im not sure if thats natural for then you know what i mean? he is just swimming in the same spot and he will just kinda get a lil rest? im not sure if this is them swimming healthy but every time i see him looking at my swimming it looks like he is shaking his head no

Well he has been alive for 3 days im happy they never lasted that long :D and i told my mom about mealworm or earth worms and she told me to wait if he doesnt eat tomorrow we will get some mealworms question.. know they also eat tiny fish or little shrimp should i get like 2 of them and try that?

Trying too many different types of food is actually going to hurt your effort - -

Stick to the worms for now, when you have him eating properly for a few weeks then start trying different types of food. :good:

Fish can actually becoming picky and when he is adjusting you want to keep things as stable and unchanging as possible

Ok thank you :) i wasnt sure since he only eats about 3-4 worms when i feed him but im afraid thats not enough for him he is 4 inches so im not sure how much he should be eating at this size

No problem. That should be fine for him for now - - These fish can take a while to adjust. Patience is key :)

:) ok thank you again... by any chance is it possible if he is jealous of the bala sharks? they are 1-2 inches bigger than him but they dont go near him but i read that they can be jealous of fish of the same breed or other breeds that are bigger then them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back