Black Ghost Knife Fish And Goldfish ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shewolf

Reaction score
Hi....
everybody,i have a 200 gallon tank with 2 black ghost knife fishes about 3 inch long each.I was wondering if i could have large fantail goldfishes with them (about 7 inches long).Will it be compatible ? I also have a red slider turtle about 7 inches in the same tank.Till now my black ghost knife fish and the turtle have stayed peaceful.So can i keep the goldfish with them ?
Any other ideas ? :shifty:

In theory you could mix regular goldfish with Apteronotus albifrons. Regular goldfish are essentially just large (very large!) barbs in terms of requirements and temperament, and do well up to 24 degrees C. When it comes to water temperature, Apteronotus albifrons has just enough overlap that both species could be maintained at ~23-24 degrees C. Goldfish do of course prefer hard, basic water with lots of carbonate hardness, which isn't what Apteronotus albifrons wants; it wants soft, slightly acidic to neutral water. But provided the water wasn't too hard, the Apteronotus albifrons should acclimate fine. (Keeping goldfish in soft/acid water is a very bad idea, so not on the table for discussion.)

Whether you'd *want* to mix regular goldfish and Apteronotus albifrons is an entirely different question. Goldfish are notoriously messy, schooling fish that stress the filtration system on even the biggest aquaria. I'd personally consider them more pond fish than aquarium fish. In any case, you'd be hard pressed to keep keep the good water quality Apteronotus albifrons demands in a tank stocked with a school of goldfish much less than 450 litres/100 gallons and a filter system offering not less than six times the volume of the tank in turnover per hour. You have a 200 gallon system, which I suppose does make the mix a bit more reasonable, but I'd still be checking water quality regularly to make sure the Apteronotus albifrons remains healthy.

Fancy goldfish really shouldn't be mixed with anything, even regular goldfish. There are simply too many variables re: swim bladder position, split fins, arched spines, etc. that make them difficult to combine with tankmates. At best, they lose out at feeding time; at worst they get badgered or nipped. Your turtles for sure will start nipping at their fins. Yes, red-ear sliders are primarily herbivores and shouldn't be eating meaty foods or pellets more than once or twice a week, but that doesn't stop them being opportunistic. A slow-moving fancy goldfish is simply too much of a temptation.

Cheers, Neale

Hi....
everybody,i have a 200 gallon tank with 2 black ghost knife fishes about 3 inch long each.I was wondering if i could have large fantail goldfishes with them (about 7 inches long).Will it be compatible ? I also have a red slider turtle about 7 inches in the same tank.Till now my black ghost knife fish and the turtle have stayed peaceful.So can i keep the goldfish with them ?

Hi just wanted to check if the 2 black ghost knife and red turtle is all you have in there. Considering the size of your tank and since you havent mentioned your filteration system i am not sure what more you could get in there incase you have anything else. Fantails are especialy heavy on their bio load and about 7" is quite big and they will get large close to around 13 - 14" so at that point your tank will be under capacity. Now this you can stock together considering you have excellent to ideal filteration system which is about 6 to 10 times water turn around and a large bio wheel. Also your turtle might just nip on the fins of the gold so i would suggest you kinda stay away from them.

If its possible get the turtle out of there and get him another tank and then you can think of the gold going in there. But i wouldnt suggest goin for more than a pair of gold. Once you add the gold make sure your maintenance is kept uptight.. change about 25% water weekly and test your water bi-weekly for the first 2 months. if its a new tank it may just run into a new tank syndrome where the tank start cycling all over again and you might just see a algae outbreak if that happens. Which is why weekly water changes are essential if your parameters look off at anytime move to an alternate day water change schedule for 10-15days changing about 10% of the water every other day.

Hope this helps... if you need any other advice or assistance feel free to drop a main at nash81 at g mail dot com.

cheers
nirav

Hi....

Your knife fish are tropical fish. All goldfishes are coldwater fish. I don't think you should mix them. Plus, fancy goldfish are (so I've heard) better in a species tank. :huh: :no: -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back