Black Diamond blasting Sand???

utahfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience using black blasting sand, its pretty cheap comes in 3 different grain sizes. Was wondering if have used which grain size is most effective for plants and how effective it was for planted tank. Have used play sand in the past and filter sand but would like a dark substrate and rarely find black in play or filter sand. A 50Lb bag of black diamond blasting sand is about 7 bucks. Im pretty sure its the same as fish store carib sea brands but not sure??? Any thoughts?

Blasting sands tend to be coarse and sharp - they have to be to do their job. If you are planning to have any fish that live on or feed from the substrate, it will be harmful to them so I wouldn't use it.

Blasting sands tend to be coarse and sharp - they have to be to do their job. If you are planning to have any fish that live on or feed from the substrate, it will be harmful to them so I wouldn't use it.
Hmmm. Good point. I'll do so more research and if no go ill just stick with play or filter sand

I love my black diamond blasting sand. It required a little extra rinsing but Ive had no trouble. My albino corys, golden pleco, rainbow shark have no issues. Molly's also eat off of it often. I got the medium size and did not find it to be sharp while rinsing it.
20191216_174606.jpg

I love my black diamond blasting sand. It required a little extra rinsing but Ive had no trouble. My albino corys, golden pleco, rainbow shark have no issues. Molly's also eat off of it often. I got the medium size and did not find it to be sharp while rinsing it.
View attachment 95679
So i went out and got some black bladting sand, so far so good, it looks great and it holds plants surprisingly well, much better than pool filter sand or play sand in my opinion. Thanks for the reply and the pucs your tank looks great

Blasting sand is sharp, so do not have any substrate fish (cories, loaches, cichlids). And this is not my opinion it is that of Heiko Bleher and Ian Fuller.

I concur it is sharp. Might I suggest getting some black play sand? It is clean and looks great.

So i went out and got some black bladting sand, so far so good, it looks great and it holds plants surprisingly well, much better than pool filter sand or play sand in my opinion. Thanks for the reply and the pucs your tank looks great
I am finally about to set up my 75g. I want a black substrate and I’m considering BDBS. Can you give me an update on your experience? Thanks!

I am finally about to set up my 75g. I want a black substrate and I’m considering BDBS. Can you give me an update on your experience? Thanks!
I have never personally used it, but according to the OP it worked great for him. ;)

Industrial sands including blasting are not safe for substrate fish, so keep that in mind.

Yes, so if you were to get Corys or loaches, the BDBS wouldn’t be safe. Nice catch @Byron. ;)

Its worked really well. I use the medium grit. Its inert so doesnt change my water chemistry, just rinse it before putting in as it will probably have dust in it. I have neons and it doesnt really effect them but i have a bolivian Ram and such is an earth eater. Hell pick up the bdbs and sift through it and spit it out and shows no ill effects. Plenty of people have recorded their experiences with keeping bottom dwelling fish like plecos and cories with no ill effects. Its no more an industrial sand than play sand is. Its not sharp or jagged and its the perfect weight and composition for rooting plants and doesnt compact. If one were worried about keeping substrate fish on it like cories or plecs you could always get the fine grit which is like a fine dust. Ive found the fine grit stuff to easily stir up and can get caught in filter. If worried about that one can always put a nylon sock around filter intake.
In all ive been pleased with it. Its inexpensive rinses easier than play sand doesnt compact or effect my water and looks great. Id highly recommend it to anyone.

Yes, so if you were to get Corys or loaches, the BDBS wouldn’t be safe. Nice catch @Byron. ;)
Its fine for loaches and coreys. Its no less sharp or hard or jagged than play sand which plenty of posters including byron use. ive read the article that byron posted about coreys not being on industrial sand news flash play sand is an industrial sand so unless you live next to the amazon and can pull some sand out of it for your cories sands like play sand and bdbs are the next best choice other than bagged river sand which is extremely expensive. Like i said i was weary about BDBS sand as well but its been really good so far and ud recommend it for anyone wanting a sand substrate and not wanting to pay ridiculous prices for LFS bagged silica or river sand which is sold in the reptile section of most stores and might not be suitable for aquarium sand. If you dont use it thats fine by me its not like i have stock in the company, or do I;)

Its fine for loaches and coreys. Its no less sharp or hard or jagged than play sand which plenty of posters including byron use. ive read the article that byron posted about coreys not being on industrial sand news flash play sand is an industrial sand so unless you live next to the amazon and can pull some sand out of it for your cories sands like play sand and bdbs are the next best choice other than bagged river sand which is extremely expensive. Like i said i was weary about BDBS sand as well but its been really good so far and ud recommend it for anyone wanting a sand substrate and not wanting to pay ridiculous prices for LFS bagged silica or river sand which is sold in the reptile section of most stores and might not be suitable for aquarium sand. If you dont use it thats fine by me its not like i have stock in the company, or do I;)

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m thinking I’m going to give it a try.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back