Black cobra endler

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, today I've showed my own created strain of black cobra endlers for the first time on the internet. It's a hybrid strain. Also the females are a bit darker than a regular endler female. I'm really pleased with the outcome thusfar. Just black cobra's are produced within this line. I love the contrast of the males.
In spring this year, I've started to set up a plan to create this type of endler. And a week after, I've started to choose my breeding pairs.
IMG_6156.JPG

IMG_6133.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6160.JPG

Well, today I've showed my own created strain of black cobra endlers for the first time on the internet. It's a hybrid strain. Also the females are a bit darker than a regular endler female. I'm really pleased with the outcome thusfar. Just black cobra's are produced within this line. I love the contrast of the males.
In spring this year, I've started to set up a plan to create this type of endler. And a week after, I've started to choose my breeding pairs.
View attachment 120725
View attachment 120724View attachment 120723View attachment 120726

Gorgeous! That is too awesome. How long did it take you to start seeing those colorations?

Aaahh that would be such a cool project. Congrats!

Gorgeous! That is too awesome. How long did it take you to start seeing those colorations?

Aaahh that would be such a cool project. Congrats!
In the F1 there were already males that had some black on teh body developing on a grey base color. For I´ve used virgin tuxedo endler females (already a hybrid strain) as breeding females. For they do carry the moscow gene and in this case the females carry the dominant trait for black. The father is a standard cobra endler. Cobra or snakskin pattern is also dominant in passing through. But note that these traits will be passed on differently when it comes to pattern on the skin and in the fins. While the normal tuxedo endlers have translucent or red fins, the cobra pattern will be dominant and that will show up in the F1 males. Whehn it coms to the skin, both dominant traits (black and cobra pattern) will show up on the skin in the F1 males. But I wanted to have an almost cover of black on the body and no cobra pattern on the body. Only the skin should show cobra pattern. So, I've selected the best looking males and crossed them to other virgin tuxedo endler females. This to enhance the black on te body. Crossing sons back to the mother it wasted time. For she's still carrying the sperm packets of the F0 male. And therefore unuseful.
The F2 males started to show more black dots on a darker body. A selection of those were crossed back to the F1 virgin daughters. The F3 males were looking like already more dark but with a snakechest. A selection of those were crossed to some virgin tuxedo females (of the same generatins of the first breeding pairs {F0}). The F4 males look like the phenotype shown in this topic: Grey based and a cover of black and only cobra pattern in the fins, just as I've planned it to be.
All females of this line are dark grey, just like the original tuxedo females.
IMG_6181a.jpg

Above: The male in front is an F1 male. The male behind him an F2 male. And the top one is a female.
IMG_6182.JPG

Above: The male shown in here is an F3 male.
Below: An F4 male.
IMG_6159.JPG

I still have all generations overhere at home.

Most reactions

Back