Black Beard and the Ram

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of Ramshorn snails eating Black Beard Algae?
It seems to be a thing.
I got a large bunch of Anubius and sectioned it up with the intention of attaching to decor for my tanks.
Time has a a way of passing so all the Anubius is in a 5g filtered tank where I keep extra snails. The Rams appear to love the stuff or my eyes need examined.
I plan to photo document for everyone's enjoyment. Forthcoming.

They are not dangerous to the fish, most platy or molly really like to hide in them.

Snails aren't picky. It's survival. If they need something to eat they will eat whatever is there. Let me tell you a weird story. I use straight Reverse Osmosis water in my tanks. 5 PPM TDS before it goes in the tanks. I had common pond snails up the wazoo and I think it was that water that caused them all to die off. Anyway, I have one 5 gallon with one fish in it that blew up with brown algae. Bummed me out and I decided to break it down and do a complete clean up. Before I did that I noticed snail tracks in the brown algae one day and let it go. One, just one, tiny pond snail appeared and started chowing down on the stuff. Today it is all gone and that little jasper is getting big. Believe it or not.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back