Black Background Recommendations

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all!!

I want to apply a black background on the outside of the tank and am looking for recommendations.

I've seen a few "static cling" options on Amazon that are inexpensive but just not sure which is best. I'm going to be applying it to my 75gal tank when I swap out my substrate, so there really won't be any limitations as to how it's applied.

TIA!!

Normally I just use black paper or card. As a hobby photographer I usually have a roll of black paper lying around.
The last tank I bought I had the luxury, as you do, of no limitations. I used cans of black satin Plasticote to spray the outside of 3 of the walls. Very happy with the result. Pics showing its evolution...
20200609_152601.jpg20201107_190018.jpg20210216_192746502_iOS.jpg

I would use black paint spray or a black adhesive foil.

I've always used black exterior paint meant for wood, metal and glass. Due to it being exterior paint it is flexible so it won't crack. It goes on easy, and when you want a change it peels off easily too in one big sheet.

Attachments

• IMG_20211031_081610_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211031_081610_HDR.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 18
I've always used cheap, black fabric. (cheap tablecloths on amazon work) My latest build is backed with that plastic static film. It isn't black, but they make it in black. Wow, this stuff is great! I doubt I'll ever use anything else again.

As you can see, lots of ways to do it.

My large tank was prepainted a blue I didn't like, and some of the blue paint had gone on the inside of the trim, so I had to paint really so I could cover those. Spent an afternoon razorblading the blue off then used black paint like the type @Sanityassassin said, so it can peel off easily, but will be fine if it gets splashed during maintenance.

As a short term, I've used a bin bag too! But just use the plastic outer backgrounds you can get cheap for my small tanks.

Wow! So many options I hadn't even thought or heard of! Thanks so much everyone for your input! Just another reason why I love this forum!!❤️

I've never done tank back coverings but, if I were to do so, I think that I'd go with the self stick vinyl self stick sheets just due to easy removal and the ability to reuse along with being mostly water proof. Paper is probably the cheapest option but could become sort of streaky if water were to be spilled a bit during water changes.

I've always used black exterior paint meant for wood, metal and glass. Due to it being exterior paint it is flexible so it won't crack. It goes on easy, and when you want a change it peels off easily too in one big sheet.
That is GENIUS!

👍

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back