Black angelfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kirsty90

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So my partner came home not long ago with a new resident. A black angelfish. It is not a young one. He visited a local old man who keeps fish and rehomed fish for some of his old friends. This old man used to breed but doesn't anymore.
The poor old guy is losing his marbles a little as well as his sight (bless)

Anyway back to the point. My partner saw this fish and "felt sorry for it" so brought it home with him. His fins are damaged and his long feelers (I'm sorry I don't know the correct term) are gone. We quarantined him for a few days and he doesn't seem to have any sort of disease etc and has now settled relatively well with the others however he doesn't seem to eat much at all and often swims onto the sides or corners of the tank?!?

When we first added him to the large tank he was bullied ever so slightly but that seems to have stopped completely now (thankfully)

This is now the largest angelfish I have (not by a huge amount) but he just doesn't seem quite as happy or hungry as I'd like. Any suggestions or ideas how to help him/me feel better about his situation?

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_091646.jpg
    IMG_20211118_091646.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 67
Do the long feelers grow back ever? I think he was in a tank with the wrong fish and they've eaten them maybe?

A very pretty fish!

I understand that you did not expect to gain this fish, but if you had posted asking if adding it was okay many members would have said no.

With this in mind, I want to urge you to exercise extreme caution. Angelfish are far from Angels - they are cichlids and by nature are territorial and aggressive. Angelfish do best when you get a good sized group (6-8) in a large tank (55g minimum) and allow them to establish their own hierarchy.

Since you have other adult angelfish that have already established their own social strata, you are running a serious risk of bullying and eventually death for this beauty. I would recommend doing a lot of observation.

Additionally, can you provide the size of your tank, the tankmates and water parameters?

A very pretty fish!

I understand that you did not expect to gain this fish, but if you had posted asking if adding it was okay many members would have said no.

With this in mind, I want to urge you to exercise extreme caution. Angelfish are far from Angels - they are cichlids and by nature are territorial and aggressive. Angelfish do best when you get a good sized group (6-8) in a large tank (55g minimum) and allow them to establish their own hierarchy.

Since you have other adult angelfish that have already established their own social strata, you are running a serious risk of bullying and eventually death for this beauty. I would recommend doing a lot of observation.

Additionally, can you provide the size of your tank, the tankmates and water parameters?
I have a 300 litre (I believe about 80 American gallons?)
I have 3 Cory's, 2 plecos, 2 loaches, 6 (now) angelfish, 2 honey gourami,5 dwarf gourami, snails, 4 platy, 3 rainbowfish, 4 danio, 2 golden wonder panchax.

My water parameters are in another thread somewhere as I had help with those lol. All the readings from my API watermaster kit are good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back