Black Algae

sanasana

Reaction score
I recently switched my pale yellow bulb to a brighter white one since the previous one stopped working. I've noticed that the white gravel is turning black and there's black algae like growth on the tank wall. I think it's because of the light so I intend to change it back to the yellow one.
Now about the cleanup. I've searched online how boiling the gravel removes the algae. I gave some gravel a thorough wash and most of it came off but since I intend to completely clear the tank of the algae (it's also in the corner of a tank), so I was wondering about the healthy bacteria. I'll have to do a 100% water change, won't I? How should I clear the algae if not that? I have an undergravel filter and artificial plants. How do I clear the tank of the algae without messing up the tank system?

We should identify the algae and then deal with keeping it in check, and to do this we need more data. A photo of the algae would help a lot too.

Are there live plants in this tank? What are the light specs (be very specific, type, watts, Kelvin, everything you can give us helps)?

Generally, the way to deal with problem algae (algae is completely natural and to be expected in a healthy aquarium but we want to keep it in check) is to find the factor that is causing it and restore the balance. Plants are an important factor in this, so we need to know about those. Any method to somehow kill problem algae will not bee successful until we have the whole picture, and may harm the fish and biological system.

How big is your tank and how long are your lights on for? It could be as simple as that you've got a more powerful bulb and you need to reduce the lighting times.

Most reactions

trending

Back