Black Algae On Anubias?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xtheking

Reaction score
Pretty much all of the leaves in my aquarium have this weird black color to them, I tried taking it off using a brush but it does not come off..
672s08.jpg

i dont want to throw it out but i just dont know whether or not its safe or if it will ever come off since brushing it off yields no results

I'm not quite sure what to do for this, but IIRC it's not harmful to your fish, just ugly. Hopefully someone with more experience in getting rid of algae will be along soon.

i have no idea what it is but looked one of my plants we added some snails to it andthey have stripped it off and how im waiting to see if it grows back

Could be diatoms. They are ugly but not harmful and they rarely come off.

defo. black beard algae, usually from too much light and not enough co2, need to manually remove as much as possible, remove leaves or trim it back as close to leaf surfaces as possible with scissors and dose heavily with a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel.

It does look like BBA. Definitely try to wipe off as much as you can- it will keep the leaves from being able to get light and will kill your anubias plant in the long run. 

The pic is not very good it could also be BBA, but imho I don't see a "brush" but rather a film and this is much more like diatoms. Furthermore the OP talks about color not something growing on the leafs which again rather indicates diatoms.

hobby5 said:
Could be diatoms. They are ugly but not harmful and they rarely come off.

KirkyArcher said:
defo. black beard algae, usually from too much light and not enough co2, need to manually remove as much as possible, remove leaves or trim it back as close to leaf surfaces as possible with scissors and dose heavily with a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel.
I agree. It could be any of these two

KirkyArcher said:

^^^^this

Anubias are notorious for this. One thing that helped while they lasted were floating frog bit. It provided shade for my anubias. Not sure why the frogbit died off in my tank but it's gone now. For a while I put a window screen over where the Anubias was growing, however, I moved my high light plants near and took it off. That helped, too. Was light safe as well.  Anubias is slow growing so some shade is appreciated by this plant.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back